Site Moving To A New Server Friday Night

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Looking forward to it!

2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

OMG you have no idea!!! :praying:

HH and bloodfilledwater have been just terrific and we look forward to a long and happy alliance with our new server host!

3. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

Thanks SRW and everyone else who's helped/or is helping...:icon_smile:

4. packerboy

packerboy Bugger off

This is good, so very good (Although I didn't think this server has been too bad)

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Oh trust me it's been a nightmare and now we don't have to share server space with any other site, it's all ours!!!

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

:TTW:

Can't wait for this place to be back to normal!!

7. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

[​IMG]

8. I'm going to close the site down at 7pm -6 CST that way nothing gets left behind during the DNS propagation. DNS should be finished by 9pm CST (hopefully), but of course, can take UP TO 24 hours, depending on ISP's DNS cache refresh TTL. For those whom are impatient and can't absolutely stay away from GIF longer than 2 seconds :icon_cheesygrin: here is a link on how to edit your hosts file on your PC that overrides any DNS entry and will direct you to the right server. The link won't be functional until 7pm or maybe sooner (depends on how energetic I feel). http://www.hughesitservices.com/~rhughes/how_to_edit_your_hosts_file.html Also, don't change your hosts file unless you can't wait for the site to be back up and don't edit the file until you notice the site is down, otherwise you'll get old data. The newest data isn't going to be copied over until the site is down.

9. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Oh boy...

Can't wait to test out the server load!!!

:buttrock:

10. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Lame mans terms please....

11. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

I think he said wait until Saturday.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

FYI people, if you have no idea what was just typed above, please wait until the migrating has finished to log back in here.

13. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I'm gonna change my hosts file. It'll be like a private computer geek party.

for the layman:
    DNS = Domain Name System - matches a name (Yahoo!) with an ip address
    TTL = time to live, IP addresses on a DNS are given a TTL to keep from having a DNS pointing to nothing if a link goes dead
    ISP = Internet Service Provider

14. Haha. I'm going to have to remember to break it down for folks, but yeah, what she said. :eek:a02:

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'll just wait until it comes up normally for me...lol...it will only be about 24 hours? I thought it was supposed to be longer...

16. Meh, the only thing that takes a long time for DNS propagation is for ISP's to clear out the old records. Time Warner, Comcast, Surewest..etc usually have about one hour cache TTL's. So, after an hour it should grab the new IP. Could take longer, could take less. It's hard to say. 72 hours is way too long. I think the law by RFC is that it has to be 2 days at most before they have to flush out the DNS records.

17. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I have a headache now.....

:icon_cheesygrin:

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

19. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Well I'm gonna be testing out GIF tonight after the move, so it would be nice to have anyone that wants to help test on the new server ASAP.

20. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Headache? I have a hard time posting news much less understanding this computer gibberish. I'm packed and ready to move. Lets go.