Mike Tomlin Would Like Steelers To Emulate The Patriots

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by 86WARD, Sep 23, 2009.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Mike Tomlin spent time between the Super Bowl and training camp studying offenses in the NFL and found one he would like the Steelers to emulate: the New England Patriots. "I think the great teams are capable of winning in many forms or fashion and playing to their strengths on a week-to-week basis based on a matchup," Tomlin said yesterday. "I thought a great deal about that, frankly, this offseason. "You study a team like New England, and they walk into a stadium offensively, and week to week they can be whatever they choose to be. They can beat you in three wides, four wides, three tight ends, and it makes them very difficult to prepare for and ultimately beat."

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Mike is taking applications for videographers...

1 person likes this.
  3. KJ3

KJ3 Terminally Slack-Jawed

Hard to improve upon winning it all but....I guess cheating is the next step?

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i appreciate Tomlin giving another team props for their offense. However, his team is doing just fine. They run the ball just as well as the Pats and they also have a great QB and good wide receivers. I don't think anyone wants to face either offense.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'd like to see the run game improve...

6. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

I hear what he's saying, but it's not the Steelers who have to put those schemes together, it's him. Too many coaches get locked into the same game plans, and become predictable. In a lot of cases they are limited by personnel, which is their mistake in the first place in putting a team together.

7. reigningblkngold

reigningblkngold Minister of defense

I give him his props he is giving credit where its due (ouch that hurt) and also he is slowly bringin in the right personel (mendenhal and sweed late bloomers) by next year with ziggy, wallace, and urbyck fighting for starting roles you will see a new steeler team personel wise!

8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

That's what great coaches do & it's good to see that Tomlin knows it. Sharp guy...

Wish we had that mentality in Chicago instead of expecting playing the system/philosophy as opposed to tweaking the system/philosophy to fit the players.