6th pick in 12 team PPR league (flex = rb/wr/te/qb)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by hb7, Aug 28, 2014.

1. hb7

hb7 Feb 28th, 2016 Premium Member

I am drafting 6th in my league and predict that the big 5 will go before me (JC, LM, AP, MF, CJ). I am targeting Jimmy Graham with my 6th pick. Who are some players (ranked) that I should be targeting in the 2nd round? Should I get a top 3 QB there if one slips to me or should I go near elite receiver if one is left (Jordy, Alshon, or Cobb)? Just a note - we are allowed to flex quarterbacks in my league so that makes them more valuable. Knowing my league, the receivers will be swooped up quick at the last half of the 1st round and 1st half of the second round with some (if not all) of the top 3 QBs going there too. I will probably also have Montee Ball and Demarco to pick from in round 2.

2. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Quarterbacks aren't as valued as wide receivers and running backs in this league with only 4 points per TD. If Johnson is there, take him (you never know). If not, I'd go Eddie Lacy in this point system and then go from there. You can still get 2 quality starting quarterbacks if you wait a little bit more.

Graham isn't as valued at the No. 6 pick. That's still too early.

3. hb7

I know for a fact calvin wont be there at 6 in the first round. The reason why I am leaning toward Graham is that he gives such a huge positional advantage over other teams. There is a huge drop off from him to the next best TE where as I think the drop off from Lacy to the next tier is not as great. Graham is a more PPR friendly player as well and I think he will really take off this year. He put up massive numbers last year while playing injured for a good amount of the season and is still a young guy.

The reason why quarterbacks are so valuable is their consistency. They put up great points every week without fail where as rbs & wrs will have their off weeks. That is HUGE for winning games. We can also flex a qb in my league which means they are a hot commodity. People loveto flex QBs for their consistency if they are unsure of flex production from another position.

4. hb7

Let me know your thoughts on those points and let me know how you think I should gameplan for round 2.

5. Greg Brosh

I know for a fact calvin wont be there at 6 in the first round. The reason why I am leaning toward Graham is that he gives such a huge positional advantage over other teams. There is a huge drop off from him to the next best TE where as I think the drop off from Lacy to the next tier is not as great. Graham is a more PPR friendly player as well and I think he will really take off this year. He put up massive numbers last year while playing injured for a good amount of the season and is still a young guy.

I'd be surprised if Ball fell to you. Murray possibly. More likely actually. I wouldn't pick Graham up that high mainly for the fact that once you do, you could wind up missing out on a top 5 receiver.

In the later rounds, you still have Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron and even Gronk. Yeah the drop off from Graham to any of them is huge, but you're looking at giving up better value elsewhere for your first pick. The cheat sheet I'm looking at has 6 receivers who are calculated to put up more points (Bryant, Thomas, Jones, Green, Nelson and Marshall). I'd prefer going this route and landing a Pitta, Rudolph or even Olsen who are all TE1's.

Thomas, Murray, Randolph looks sweet to me.

The reason why quarterbacks are so valuable is their consistency. They put up great points every week without fail where as rbs & wrs will have their off weeks. That is HUGE for winning games. We can also flex a qb in my league which means they are a hot commodity. People love to flex QBs for their consistency if they are unsure of flex production from another position.

I don't play in 2QB leagues, so I can't agree or disagree with you. If they do go as high as you say, then that will leave you more action at the rb and wr spots, while nabbing Romo, Cutler or Kaepernick. You can go QB high if you want, but your scoring doesn't value QBs AS MUCH as it should to make drafting one within the top 2 rounds worth it. I'd rather a Romo and Cutler, who should both put up 30+ touchdowns, than a Manning and someone who has lesser value. And you should be able to get Romo and Cutler at a bargain.

6. hb7

I understand where you are coming from but Jimmy G is really a WR and the #1 target on one of the most potent offenses in the league. If you think of him like a WR, he would have been the #5 best WR last year in total points (my PPR league scoring) and that is playing injured for many games. Remove Josh Gordon from the picture and he can be top 4 this year. He also presents a positional advantage that can not be had by grabbing a top 5 receiver. Using the rankings on this site, he is #2 in value projection behind calvin. I thought I had my #6 pick locked in but you certainly have me thinking about Dez or Thomas.

As for the QBs, I know QBs like Romo will start going round 3 and that tier will be gone by the end of round 4. The difference in getting a consistent stud like Rodgers in round 2 or a Romo with some question marks in round 4 might be worth the "reach" but your argument is valid and I think most fantasy experts would agree with you for the vast majority of leagues. I have to mock it out a little more, I just hope one of those QBs don't fall to me in the 2nd so that I am not left with that decision. I would love to snag Jordy in the 2nd.

7. Greg Brosh

With your league scoring, Romo is ranked 10th. So if you say he'll be gone by the 3rd, plus running backs, I wouldn't be shocked to have Nelson fall to you.

The only drawback of going with Graham, Nelson and a Romo is the running back value is almost decimated.

You'll start getting into Foster, Bernard (who now appears a question mark if Hill gets 200 carries like I read earlier today) and Vereen. Now there are rumors Stacy could even be a question mark as the Rams had been giving Cunningham more preseason work (Although I wouldn't jump the gun on that one)