9-year-old Boy Told He's Too Good To Pitch

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by TJ, Aug 28, 2008.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

ESPN - 9-year-old boy told he's too good to pitch - ESPN

I had never heard of anybody being banned from something, for being "too good". :icon_eek:

Quite a lesson those parents are teaching their children: "If anybody is better than you, keep whining until he's gone" :icon_rolleyes:

2. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

Remember we're trying to teach our kids its not about winning or losing its about feeling good about yourself and that if somebody is better than you just quit :icon_rolleyes: . This youth league is a joke and it has just taught this group of kids a horrible lesson.

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Yea I read this article the other day its bullcrap, Why should he banned because of his skill? Just because hes superior to all the other pitchers he shouldnt be punished.

4. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

is this an onion story? what a joke.

5. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

I'm not a parent, so this just comes from my female perspective. My thought is that they may be worried about the inexperienced kids (at bat) getting hurt. There has to be a more competitive league this talented boy can join.

6. Matt314hew

Matt314hew Mr. Impossible

There should be a more competitive league, but why ban the kid? He has a natural talent for pitching. The people in charge should be replaced. Everything now a days is to make sure that all kids are winners. When i played, my team was undefeated for 2 years straight, but they didn't disban us. We had talent from the draft and had great hitters and pitchers.

7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

You're a soccer dad. Is it true that in kid's soccer games they don't keep scores so nobody loses? :lol:

8. Matt314hew

Not a soccer dad, as I don't have kids. Our local league likes have former players coach. so my cousin's fiance and I took a team. In U6 and U8 they do not keep score, only because it is a learning process. After U8, they keep score.

9. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

My middle son is 7, and his league they dont keep score. The parents do, but there is no official score or standings.

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

That's UNBELIEVABLE.

When I was in a kids league, at age 8, my very first sports experience, we didn't only keep scores, but it was a hell of a fight to score points and win games!!

I was always taught to try to be the best at what I do, always...not only "just compete and feel good about myself even when I fail". I guess that's why I take my failures so seriously...and I can't believe you're the world's superpower, and we're not. :icon_confused:

11. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

12. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

We don't fail. (or see our own failures)

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I think the latter would be more appropiate, Linz.

14. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

I was helping you read between the lines.

15. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I heard this story on the radio on tuesday night and thought what the heck? Thats one of the most goobered things i've ever heard.

16. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Can't wait for those kids that compete and don't keep score to face the real world :icon_confused:

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

i used to run a league and there is no reason to keep scores at 6-8yrs old in baseball. you're still teaching the game. baseball is not an easy sport to learn. in fact it's one of the hardest.

that said once you hit this kid's age you do keep score, you do have playoffs and the kids have to learn to deal with losing. the issue usually is the parents haven't learned to deal with losing. our league set it up so you could not stack an "in-house" team with all the "travel" level kids so they could just throttle the league. it serves no purpose and kills a league.

this deal here though is pathetic. this kid can't be held back just because he is this good and he has proven that he has great control (hasnt hit a batter yet). don't kid yourself though, safety has nothing to do with this, it's all about the opposing parents whining that their little johnny can't get a hit and more than likely the board memers are the opposing parents.

this is a reason youth sports are hurting in this country.

18. Matt314hew

This is how it was when i played too. WE always kept score, even in the little U6, but some parent complained that their team was full of kids with no talent and the person in charge was trying to stack their team. We even had a playoff system at the end. To tell you how competitive i took it, i was goalie for my soccer team the one season and got thrown out of a game for arguing with a ref. It was one off our last regular season games and i had not given up a goal in all 10 games so far. I dove at a ball going towards the goal, hit off my hands rolled along the goal line, but never crossed. Ref called it a goal and i got in his face about it ( i was 12). he threw me out of the game. But that was the only "goal" scored on me that year. I even scored from goal that season.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

^^^ you should've been thrown out. your parents should cracked you one too. :eek:a02:

20. Matt314hew

Hey, what can i say, i was competitive. The ref was not in a spot to see the ball, he saw it roll towards the goal and say me dive for it and punch it away from the goal.

It was a ref I knew too, so there were no hard feelings after wards.