Aaaaaaandrew Luck

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SportsChump, Aug 25, 2019.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I thought about Patrick Willis when I heard the news. We're in for shorter careers and the best athletes choosing to play another sport. Kyler Murray was an exception.

For me, the weird part is the Colts choosing not to go after the 24 million dollars in paid bonuses they're entitled to get back. Looks Like it was a negotiation that was going on for a while. It's really weird for them not to go after that money.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Teej...

Does any of it count against the cap or are they essentially giving it to him as severance?

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I mean, even the Lions went after Barry Sanders' bonus 20 Years ago. I suppose it counts against the cap, but I don't really know...

5. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Maybe Jim Irsay had a moment of clarity.

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

One explanation I read somewhere is that in case Luck changes his mind next year, or two years from now, the Colts would retain his rights...He remains technically under contract for 3 more years.

I really don't know how these things work. Jason Witten retired last year, decided to come back, and signed a new deal with the Cowboys, just as an example...

7. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I guess it depends on the agent and how good he is at his job, lol

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Let's talk about the Colts luck...no, not Luck...luck!!

In 1995 they made the AFC Championship game, in 1996 they made the playoffs, and in 1997 somehow they ended up with the worst record in the league which gave them the 1st overall pick, which they used to get Peyton Manning.

In 2011, after several playoff trips, Manning goes down for the year because he had to go get a new neck...the Colts finish with the worst record in the league, which gets them Andrew Luck.

If the Colts pull that crap again and end up with Tua Tagovailoa (or whatever) in 2020, it will be amazing...

Also...twenty years of Manning and Luck and only one Super Bowl to show for...you need more than a franchise QB to build a dinasty...

9. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

10. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Nice read, as usual, Chump.

I've always thought the draft is a lottery. Not just in the NFL but in any other professional sport. Scouts measure, interview, watch tape, look at medical records...and I'd bet anything that they really don't know what they're doing.

For every Andrew Luck, there's a Tim Couch, or a Sam Bradford, or a David Carr. "Consensus" #1 picks that can still fail. And most of the time it's not even their fault. Injuries, bad coaching, bad schemes, off the field issues...a lot of things can derail a career in any moment. The only #1 pick who failed because of him and only him I can think of is JaMarcus Russell. A QB in a linebacker body that went #1 only because everybody in the Raiders was afraid to overrule Al Davis. Jared Goff is the opposite example. He looked lost as a rookie. People were ready to call him a bust. Then Sean McVay arrived and he became a Super Bowl quarterback. Coaching matters and it matters a lot.

Luck was the perfect storm. He landed on a team that was only 2 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance that inherited Peyton Manning's offense. Of course, they forgot to renovate the OL and Luck took a beating, but for the first three years, at least, he really was the real deal.

11. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Good stuff, Teej.

That's gotta be the first time in years Tim Couch's name has been mentioned on this site, lol

TJ likes this.