Alex Smith Introduced As Chiefs' Top QB

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by SRW, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Speaking at Alex Smith's introductory news conference with the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday, coach Andy Reid made it clear that Smith will be his starting quarterback in 2013.

Chase Daniel was brought aboard Tuesday to serve as Smith's backup, the same role he held with the New Orleans Saints under Drew Brees. Smith sits atop the Chiefs' depth chart, a perch he has desired ever since he was Wally Pipp'd out of his job with the San Francisco 49ers, who traded him to Kansas City.

"It's what I've wanted from the start, from when all this trade talk first started, was to end up here," Smith told Rich Eisen on NFL Network. "I'm thankful it worked out and excited to get to work."

Reid told the media he admired Smith's ability from afar during the quarterback's college days at Utah, and revealed he'd kicked the tires about Smith in past years.

"When I was at Philadelphia, for whatever reason we seemed to play (the 49ers) every year, and I got to see him first hand," Reid said, according to The Sacramento Bee. "He was somebody if I had the chance, I would want on my team. So I did inquire about him periodically with the 49ers."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013
  2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

All the best Alex. Hope it goes well for you there as I expect it will