B.J. Coleman Wants To Push To Be Packers No. 2 QB

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by SRW, May 13, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

B.J. Coleman is ready to take the next step with the Green Bay Packers and that means challenging Graham Harrell for the backup job behind Aaron Rodgers.

Coleman, a seventh-round draft pick last year from Tennessee-Chattanooga, got an opportunity to show what he can do over the weekend in rookie minicamp. He’s slimmed down a little and has worked hard while waiting for his opportunity.

One of the things he’s worked hard on is making plays outside of the pocket, utilizing his ability to buy time and create an opening. It’s something Rodgers does so well and Coleman wasn’t used to it as a pocket passer in college but now, he’s more comfortable, according to Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

“What I had to see from B.J. (in this minicamp) is him (having) looked like he’d been here for a year, be in charge of the drills and be productive,†Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. “And that was evident in all three practices.

“Now there’s a couple things that he’ll learn from. Actually, (Sunday) afternoon (I was talking to) B.J. coming off the field about a particular play in the final team period. So he’s got ability. There’s just some things that he’s done in the past and the way he’s played the position that are total opposite of the way he’s being taught, so we got to get that part figured out. But I think he’s definitely making a lot of progress.â€

Source: National Football Post