Brock Lesnar Retires From UFC

Discussion in 'Boxing/MMA Talk' started by TheDuke, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

LAS VEGAS -- Brock Lesnar retired from mixed martial arts after Alistair Overeem stopped him with one vicious kick to the body at 2:26 of the first round in their heavyweight bout at UFC 141 on Friday night. Lesnar is the UFC's biggest pay-per-view star and the former heavyweight champion, but his return from a 14-month injury absence ended with Lesnar staggering and crumpling against the cage. He couldn't recover from a kick from Overeem (36-11), the 6-foot-5 Dutch kickboxing star making his UFC debut. Lesnar (5-3) is a former NCAA champion wrestler and pro-wrestling star who rose swiftly to the top of MMA. But he has fought just three times in the past 2½ years while dealing with bouts of diverticulitis, a lower-intestinal ailment that nearly killed him. "I've had a really difficult couple of years with my disease, and I'm going to officially say tonight is the last time," Lesnar said. "This is the last time you'll see me in the octagon."

Source:ESPN

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

That was pathetic, but I did say Overeem would win. Just didn't think Lesnar was this much of a snitch, heck the pity stories.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Dude had 7 inches of colon removed, nearly died twice and has a 6 inch incision in his stomach. You could see when Overeem caught him he just wasn't right. Don't think that this is a pity story. Dude's body just can't take strikes from freaking rhino's in the octagon. But he can take fake chair shots in a wrestling ring....hmm?

But Dos Santos/Overeem should be one hell of a fight.

4. Crowned

I think he should return to wrestling, but people talking about the disease is taking away from Overeem's dominance. And I don't think Dana White looked to happy about the sudden retirement. But now Overeem will be the UFC cash cow.

5. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

The UFC is too big to fail just because Lesnar is gone.
    I thought he would lose tonight but didn't see the retirement coming

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'll buy that but watch the fight again. Anytime Overeem hit him in his surgically held together mid section he cringed hard. Overeem is a monster but Brock probably shouldn't have even been in the ring.

7. Crowned

Fair enough Duke, and DKM I wasn't suggesting Brock brought all the money to the UFC, but AO will be the new "it" guy for now other then Jon Jones.

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

This sucks. I like Lesnar. If it wasn't for that stupid disease the dude would be dominating for a long time.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Think he will go back to wrestling?

10. Steve12

I hope not. And I thought I heard somewhere that he didn't like wrestlingh. Its not like he needs the money.

11. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

Well according to Dana White in the post fight post confernece Lensar retired under contract so he can't go to back to wrestling without Dana White say so. Personally I think Brock will go home and disappear off the face of the earth

12. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i know lesnar was a big draw in the UFC but I don't think people have really expected much from Lesnar the last couple of years. Everyone pretty much knew the guy wasn't the same.

The main reason he was a big draw is because he was a born and raised white American Heavyweight..... those are always popular but there will be more.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't follow UFC or WWE for that matter but was Lesner a draw just because of his time in the WWE or could he legitimately fight?

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i do not watch fake fighting but i do watch MMA. Lesnar had legitimate skills, mainly because he was such a great athlete, but he was definitely over-hyped and was never going to be as good as people thought he was going to be, health issues or not.

15. Steve12

I think he would have been as could as he was hyped to be. I really do. If he had stayed healthy he would have lived up to it.

16. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I agree with Stubing here. Lesnar is a BEAST of an athlete and it's a damn shame that he had to retire like this. Healthy I honestly think he COULD have been one of the greatest Heavyweights of all time. The dude is a pure wrestler with the athletic ability and agility of someone half his size. But his trainers wanted him to rhino charge people and someone suggested that standing toe to toe with one of the best strikers on the face of the planet was a good idea. Had he never done the WWE and just did MMA he EASILY could have been a GIANT stud for a long, long time.

As far as him hating wrestling, he doesn't hate it. He's a wrestler. It's in his blood. Yes, amateur and WWE are completely different but he really likes performing. He's set financially so Vince would need to give him some serious cash but with ratings tanking Vince is most likely VERY desperate. Imagine Jericho back Monday and Lesnar back within the next 2-3 months? Ratings would SHOOT back up. You'll get the guys who were fans back in the "attitude era" and during Lesnars first reign in the E. That'll be music to McMahons ears.

17. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

No what Lesnar hated and most people in wrestling believe that he left was he was told he was going to be putting over Undertaker and moving down the card.

18. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'm pretty sure it was more that Taker wanted Lesnar to put him over and there was A LOT of bullcrap backstage. For as much as I love Taker he's a giant snitch in the back. My friend who works at Titan Towers says that he's kind of a snob when he's in Stamford. And McCool is even worse. It was a battle of wills between Taker and Brock and Taker had been there much longer so you KNOW who Vince sided with. Either way, I think Vince opens the check book BIG TIME to get Taker/Lesnar at Mania. There's no way that Dana White won't let Brock return. It would serve no purpose not to. Brock is damaged goods and while wrestling part time for the E wouldn't be too bad on his body, MMA obviously would be. They need Brock right now. Bad.

19. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

No, I don't think so.

I think the roar of the crowd will make him return to the WWE sometime in 2012.

20. YEAH DUDE!

YEAH DUDE! CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE!

He's set for life, as long as he doesn't waste his money. He could do commercials, get sponsorship deals and whatever he wants to do. He is his own brand.

The one thing I think people forget is...well the "itch" when all you ever done is wrestle, all you ever wanted to do was fight...it just doesn't go away. Give him awhile, I still don't think he is healthy yet but he may return to wrestling if he has to. I don't think it's his first love, but I think he would be a GREAT addition back to WWE.