Browns Fire Head Coach Eric Mangini

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 3, 2011.

1. The Cleveland Browns fired coach Eric Mangini on Monday after his second straight 5-11 season. "This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought," Browns president Mike Holmgren said in a statement. "Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future." Mangini said he believes the Browns are headed in the right direction. "I have a deep respect for the players that I have coached the past two years and how they have made a profound difference in changing the culture -- a tougher, smarter, more competitive, selfless team that never gave up," Mangini said in the statement. "Our goal was to build a team for long-term success. The core characteristics we were dedicated to, I believe, will help achieve that goal, and have provided a strong identity for this football team and have helped to create a positive foundation upon which the organization can continue to build." The Browns ended their 2010 season with an embarrassing 41-9 home loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday. In the locker room afterward, Mangini somberly thanked his players for their effort. "He told everybody he loved them," said wide receiver Josh Cribbs. "He said just what a head coach is supposed to say. We went out there and played for him throughout the year. We tried to do what he asked us to do. He was appreciative of the opportunity that we gave him." Although the Browns made some statistical improvements across the board, they failed to build on the momentum created by mid-season upsets of New Orleans and New England.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011
  2. Mike Holmgren......come on down. :icon_cheesygrin:

3. can't believe some people think he will hire John Fox

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

That's a shame...:icon_confused:

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

it's hard to blame mangini for clevelands situation right now. they were a mess when he came in. but i'm not sure i would disagree with the decision either.

6. guys do you think Fox would be a good hire....

I say no but some people think he would. I think Fox needs a year off and needs to be a DC somewhere.

7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

idk but i dont think the browns should all lay the blame on the coach..........but oh well and fox may not want a yr off he may want to jump right in.........plus he was also not responsible for all the crap that swemt down in Carolina

8. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Jake Delhomme is probably responsible for getting them both fired. But, I think Mangini made his own bed by sticking with him when Seneca Wallace was healthy and by sticking with Daboll for a season and a half too long. How many other teams had to use 3 QB's because of injury (not just because they suck (Car))? Det and Cle are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

This. I was on Mangini's side, but his on-the-field coaching remained questionable and he's responsible for his fate. I think the team could have moved forward under him but see no reason the right person can't continue that groundwork in the right direction.

10. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

This change every 1-2 years till something sticks mentality is a big part of what IMO keeps there from being even more parity in the league. Browns are more likely to take a step back next year then forward.

11. cpgobrowns

It really comes down to talent in the NFL. You can't run an effective 3-4 w/o the linebackers. You can't run a consistent offense in the new pass-happy NFL without WR's who get separation at the line of scrimmage. A draft like last year's top half will go a long way. Then there will be an article on here where Mangini takes pride in his part of the Browns looking like a real football team, and people will continue to flame him. I guess I have to read up on head coaching candidates. It will give me something to do this off season.

12. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

I don't believe Mangini would have accomplished what Holmgren wants, and Holmgren had no respect for him from the beginning. He kind of wanted to dump him, when he took over the Browns organization, and put his own guy in there. Mangini is not head coach material, and I doubt someone is that desparate to hire him for a head coach position in the near future.

13. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

You can't get the talent all over the field for any 1 system in 1 or 2 years which is why switching coaches so quick is dumb and switching systems so quick is REALLY dumb.

14. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiGPNs80v88&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - hannah storm and adam schefter high-fiving mangini getting fired[/ame]

15. krfire

krfire Team Veteran

In Mangini's defense, he never really had anything to work with.

16. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

17. cpgobrowns

Agreed. That's why Mangini minus Daboll was my pick. I was just saying that Mangini wasn't why we lost 11 games this year. But, what's done is done. Holmgren did say he wants a young offensive minded coach though, so I guess John Fox is out.