Browns Not Ready To Name QB Colt McCoy The Starter Vs. Jets

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by BigBlueBruiser, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Rookie quarterback Colt McCoy has won two straight games -- over star QBs Drew Brees and Tom Brady -- and captured the hearts of Cleveland Browns fans everywhere. He's played like a starter, he looks like a starter and he acts like a starter. Coach Eric Mangini just isn't quite ready to call him a permanent one. On Monday, Mangini, staying true to his reputation for not revealing anything he doesn't absolutely have to, would not name McCoy his starter for this week's game against the New York Jets (6-2). Mangini, though, did concede that McCoy's performance in Sunday's 34-14 rout of New England has made it tougher to consider going back to Jake Delhomme or Seneca Wallace, who are both still out with ankle injuries. "He's making the discussion harder and harder each week," Mangini said.

Source: Associated Press

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

wow get the heck out of here mangina

1 person likes this.
  3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Uhhh coach, you might want to name Colt the starter cause you ain't foolin' no one son.

4. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

WTF? He's the freaking Franchise, you dumb heck. Make him the starter, cut Delhomme, Wallace the backup, and you've got a good chance to have a respectable season. Really a tough decision:icon_rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I don't see this hurting anything, it's just dumb. I think it's a little early to call McCoy the franchise. He's earned the job, no need to over praise the situation. And I don't think cutting Delhomme has anything to do with making this a "respectable" season.

6. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Delhomme hasn't done crap for years. Why even bother taking up a roster spot. If you don't see McCoy as the savior, than fine play Delhomme, and let McCoy get the experience riding the bench, watching a has been perform less than mediocrity.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

uh...sure...

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Not really sure where you're getting this stuff. Although Delhomme shouldn't be out there playing, you're being too dramatic. I said nothing about benching Colt McCoy, actually the opposite. He has earned the job with very solid play. It doesn't make him the "franchise" or the "savior". Why does every QB have to be a superstar or a bum?

9. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

The issue in the NFL is a lack of A1 QB's, that can consistently lead a team to be competitive year after year. You might have one of those rare birds, and you sure want to develope him as fast as you can. I seem to be more optimistic than you or your coach, because I think you have one.

10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

There's no question McCoy will keep playing. These kind of statements are typical of Mangini regardless of the situation. He's going to try to mislead you no matter how obvious it is. It could also have something to do with how pissed off Seneca Wallace will probably be to have lost yet another brief chance.

It's not a lack of optimism with McCoy, it's cautious optimism, and I think Browns fans have earned that. In the span you've had Tom Brady, Cleveland has started Tim Couch, Doug Pederson, Spergon Wynn, Kelly Holcomb, Luke McCown, Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Ken Dorsey, Bruce Gradkowski, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, and now Colt McCoy.

I think many of us don't want to keep searching for a Peyton Manning in the draft when it's not there. Colt doesn't have to be a superstar because a team can be competitive in other ways. No one should expect a perennial Pro-Bowler out of him, which could be part of his upside. If he plays consistently, he'll get the endorsement and support as the long-term guy, but problems arise when you expect one player to be the "savior."

1 person likes this.
  11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well said.

12. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Can someone just write some sort of script to autopost 'Eric Mangini not ready to name <starting quarterback from last week> against <opponent next week>' every Tuesday or Wednesday? It would save you guys some trouble.

13. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Perhaps they could do the same for "Jerry Jones is not going to fire Wade Phil.......oh wait a minute, nevermind.

1 person likes this.
  14. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns &amp;lt; Deer/Headlights

No derailing Browns threads please. :icon_cheesygrin:

15. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about reading the same stories over and over again each week. My bad. GO BROWNS!!!!!

16. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Colt McCoy is a BEAST!!!!!!!! Why in the Hell didn't we draft him instead of Clausen?

17. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Big mistake, but it's always hard figuring out which ones will make the transition from College to the Pros.

18. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Look at the names you threw out there none of those dudes had the track record colt did in college