Browns Prepared To Make Oregon's Chip Kelly "An Offer He Can't Refuse?"

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Jan 3, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, assuming that Oregon coach Chip Kelly‘s interview with the Browns goes well on Friday, the team is prepared to make him “an offer he can’t refuse.“

Adam Caplan reports that his sources have informed him that Kelly is already considering some of the assistant coaches who were let go for his coaching staff.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Kelly will meet with the Bills on Friday.

There’s no question that Kelly is the hottest coach on the market right now and with Andy Reid likely to be out of the picture real soon, Kelly looks to be in a position to secure a very large deal.

Source: NFL Trade Rumors

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Go from the most elaborate uniforms in college to the most dull in nfl?

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000121347/Is-Chip-Kelly-worth-the-hype]Is University of Oregon head coach Chip Kelly worth the hype? - NFL Videos[/ame]

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Long story short SRW, nope.

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Steve Spurrier. Kellys a great college coach but I really doubt he's going to make a good transition to the pro game with that offense. Especially not in Cleveland. Richardsons talents would be wasted, Weedens definitely not suited for it either. He'd have to make some dramatic changes either in personnel or philosophy, but either way I dont see it working. I think Harbaughs success is going to open the door for a lot of inexperienced but successful, "new best thing" type coaches like Kelly, to get NFL shots in the hopes of their being able to duplicate the 49ers turnaround. It won't be pretty.

6. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Eh, we only keep coaches for 2 years anyway. Keep that new uniform crap away though.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, maybe chip kelly can be the next jimmy johnson but i really wish he wasn't going to cleveland. i was hoping the cleveland fans would finally get some good football to cheer for.

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Cleveland should go after a coach with nfl experience,not somebody they think is the next big thing,cause chances are,he is'nt!

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Word is this deal is close to being completed...

10. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Once Kelly decides where he's going, the other unemployed coaches should decide where they're going pretty quickly.

11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

I Think this is the new browns imitatting the old browns that have been cellar dwellers the last 30 years or so!

12. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Take whatever shots you like but that's pretty misinformed

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, the way diesel said that was pretty harsh. i think he's just trying to say that hiring chip kelly appears to be a 'reach' on many levels. i saw in another thread that you think there is high reward with this guy but the highest 'reward' a team has ever received with a scenario like this in the post modern f.a. era is a .500 record. That seems to be the best that these 'true' college guys can do. guys that are handed head coaching positions in the nfl with absolutely no playing or coaching experience in the league whatsoever have failed time after time and the best they have shown to be able to do is a .500 record so i'm really skeptical where the high 'reward' is in this thing.

many of them freak out at the pressure/caliber of play and end up quitting after a couple of years and running back to the ncaa. That is how much of a difference there is between the 2 positions. They are 2 completely different jobs.

personally, i'm just not seeing the high 'reward' with a true college guy ............... i believe there is a much higher 'reward' possible with a guy who has extensive nfl experience, has seen everything in the league, coached under different successful head coaches, worked with other successful assistant coaches, been through all of battles on sundays ........... basically, 'seen it all' and has had time to develop his own philosophies on what might work better and how he would like to run his team.

i really want the browns to succeed. i think they are some of the greatest fans in the league. that's one reason this whole chip kelly thing bothers me. if he ends up in philly, i won't mind as much cuz their fans are a bunch of douchebags (love 'ya bs, dawk, and the rest :) ) . but, this just smells too much like mike riley to me and another 2 or 3 years of no playoffs for the browns.

14. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I can't disagree with much of what you said. I'm not saying he's the best choice, or even my second choice. But I'm trying to look on the positive angles of this.

This is Haslam's first big swing, and I've said I wanted them to go after someone with strengths where the Browns weakness is, on offense. I'm not yet buying into how "the Kelly offense" can't work in the NFL, because we've seen nontraditional things work plenty, especially recently. The guy seems smart in that regard, and I think he'll get to work figuring out what works and what doesn't. I really don't see him coming in and trying to do everything like he's done it in college with a pure spread offense.

He seems like a smart guy, and he's an offensive coach. Of course I wanted someone with more (read: any) pro experience, but that doesn't appear to be what they value this one around , regardless of what we/I think.

15. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Well, you're handing the reins over to a guy that only has 5 years of D1 experience in any capacity, and only 3 as a HC at any level. He also had the advantage of the Oregon/Nike recruiting machine, an embarassment of riches when it comes to getting the players he needed to fit the Big O spread, and he's never run anything but that offense. Assuming he's going to be able to transition to something more NFL-ready is pure speculation, especially considering he doesnt have a lot to work with, and the track record of guys like him who have tried and succeeded is short to nonexistent.