Browns QB QB Brandon Weeden Takes 1st-Team Reps, Says 'It’s My Job To Take Control'

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by SRW, Apr 16, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Quarterback Brandon Weeden took the reps with the first-team offense today as the Browns opened their voluntary minicamp, coach Rob Chudzinski said this evening after practice.

Weeden is now looking to take charge.

“Now that it’s my second year, it’s my job to take control, be the guy, be the leader, be the leader on offense, be the leader in the locker room,†Weeden said. “I lead by example, but there’s a comfort level there now that maybe wasn’t there last year just because I was still learning.â€

Weeden, the 22nd overall pick in last year’s draft, is penciled in as the starting quarterback, but veteran Jason Campbell was signed this offseason to push him.

Chudzinski said Campbell, who has a career record of 31-40 as a starter, also will receive some reps with the first-team offense during future practices. Campbell took second-team reps today, and third-string quarterback Thaddeus Lewis followed.

“The guy has been very successful in the game of football for a long time,†Weeden said. “I want to compete. I want to push each other, make each other better and I think it’s better for everybody involved.â€

Source: Akron Beacon Journal