Cardinals Will Be Interested In QB Peyton Manning When He's A Free Agent

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Sweets, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Arizona Cardinals are expected to be interested in Peyton Manning once he's released by the Indianapolis Colts, Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic reports. The level to which the Cardinals are interested in Manning is unclear, but that there is any is a sign that they have doubts about Kevin Kolb's ability to lead them back to the top of the NFC West and to the Super Bowl they played for after the 2008 season under Kurt Warner. Acquired from the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2012 second round draft choice, Kolb signed a five-year extension worth $62.1 million that included a $10 million signing bonus and $2 million base salary in 2011. Kolb, 27, completed 57.7 percent of his 253 pass attempts for 1,955 yards with nine touchdowns and eight interceptions, missing nearly half the season with concussions as 2010 fifth-round pick John Skelton stepped in and nearly led the team on a miracle run to the playoffs following their 1-6 start to the season. Kolb is due a $7 million roster bonus on March 17. The Cardinals can get out of the contract by releasing him prior to that date.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Of course Manning would be nice, but John Skelton proved he's every bit a starting QB as Kolb. Kolb too untested, at times confused and now concussion proned. Cut Kolb now, wine and dine Manning and let the cards fall where they may.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I liked Skelton a lot coming out of college. I think he could get really good if he got to learn from Manning a bit.

4. markaz

And with the Cards' O-Line iffy at best, Skelton can run. I'm sure the O-Lone will be a topic of conversation with Manning.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I dont' think that's the best fit for Manning...

6. markaz

Nor do I. Larry Fitzgerald and the climate can only be milked so far.

7. KISSman

KISSman QB Expert

If I were Manning, I would avoid the Cardinals like the plague. This is a team who had one of the best QBs in the league and they almost let him go to the 49ers due to their cheapness. In fact, Kurt Warner retired instead of playing another year because they were cheap-asses.

The Cards are a team who will never spend enough to win a championship so I'd be really surprised if Peyton winds up in Arizona.

8. markaz

You're really reaching. He was under a $25M two-year deal and walked after year one. Money had nothing to do with it. He was tired of getting drilled and wanted to walk away in one piece.

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i'm really surprised that everyone is ruling out arizona because their o-line looked bad last year because of having no QB .........

the redskins, dolphins, seahawks, and broncos o-lines looked just as bad last season with crapty QB play........ :scratch:

a great QB will instantly improve the 'perceived' level of play of an O-line and Manning will make any of these 'suspect' O-lines look better instantly (and, yes, they all looked very 'suspect' last year because of bad QB play).

10. markaz

With Kevin Kolb taking snaps you're right . He just stood there and let the pocket collapse around him. Enter one John Skelton, who finished up the season at 7-2 became the fan favorite because he would run . His running to escape a breakdown in the O-Line most definitely make the O-Line look better, he could just extend a play. That is not the type of game that Manning plays. The Cards' offensive line is just not that good and it all starts with their $18.5M OT. That will be addressed real soon with Manning being a reality.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not ruling out the Cards. I think he'd do well there, but I think the best fit and the place he'd have instant success would be KC.

The Cards OLine is going to get worse before it gets better if Manning comes on board. They probably won't get Brown back if Manning is there from what is being speculated. Manning will "improve" the OLine per say, but talent wise, they'll be worse.

12. CaptainStubing

well, but, peyton is going to make quicker reads, quicker decisions, and release the ball quicker than Kolb ............. which is my point. A qb like Kolb is going to get sacked twice as many times as someone like Peyton behind ANY offensive line.

the chiefs don't have a good o-line ..... it's just as 'bad' as the cards ...... the chiefs allowed almost as many QB hits last season as the cardinals with 50 fewer pass attempts .......... :scratch:

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

None of the teams we are talking about have "good" O-Lines...that's not really a discussion point IMO. Plus Manning has been behind bad ones before. The Chiefs have a good team. They were plagued by injuries last year and hell, even with Cassell at QB, they might win the west this season. Peyton would only help them there and I think he could have instant success in KC. Of course there will be growing pains no matter where he goes...

14. CaptainStubing

well, that may be true if we're just looking at the 'pieces' around peyton ....... however, there are 2 major hurdles here in kansas city .......

#1 --Scott Pioli believes in the Patriot way, which is the front office and coaches tell the players what the system is and how it's going to be done and the players fall in line. Peyton will be looking for most of the control of the offense. I can't see that organization accepting it.

#2 -- for some reason, i just get the impression that Peyton would only play in a cold weather climate if they had a dome. He is going to want to still be flinging the ball around the field and he might feel like 10 degree weather in december/january is going to limit his ability to do that and increase his risk of pains and injury.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's Peyton Manning. He's much more important than Scott Pioli. He'd find that out real fast.

I'm not saying the Cards are a terrible fit. I think it's a good place for him to land...even better if Wayne goes with him...

IMO, I just think that if Peyton went to KC, he'd have more "instant success" than if he went anywhere else. The Chiefs may not even be that interested with Cassell coming back...

16. CaptainStubing

Even including Houston, San Fran, or the Jets?

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

None of those teams are serious teams for Manning. Probably teams just making a call to gather information. But saying they are, Houston would absolutely be the best place for Manning to land. No doubt over any other team in the league. Hed be able to help the Niners, but im not sure he and Harbaugh could co-exist. I like KC over the Jets...easily.

18. markaz

San Fran is the only serious consideration of the three. The Jets are just a plain mess and the Texans were talking SB with Schaab last year. In actuality, San Fran just may be the absolute best instant success team out there. But so far, Harbaugh is sold on Smith.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

If Houston doesn't think Schaub can come back from his injury, Manning could be an option...and I believe Schaub is in the last year of his deal?

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

The Chiefs have allegedly offered Manning a completed contract today.