Carr Might Be The Answer Right Now

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by ollysj, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Greg Cote, Miami Dolphins

It isn't as much the splendiferous-ness of the man as the squalor of the team that brings me to say this with a surprisingly straight face:
    The Dolphins should sign David Carr.

The likelihood is not that Carr will magically become the long-sought answer at the quarterback spot (though I wouldn't rule it out). The point is that if you throw enough question marks into the competition, your odds increase that one of them might miraculously straighten out and become an exclamation point.

Put another way, the Dolphins' starting QB, right now, is thoroughly unaccomplished journeyman Cleo Lemon, whose chances of being back with the team are anorexia-slim. The other guy, second-year man John Beck, is unproven and of dubious long-range future. Talk about a depth chart! In the NFL, the depths don't sink much lower in terms of experience or proof at the game's most important position.

So Carr comes available this week, cut by the Carolina Panthers on Wednesday just in time for the start of the free agency period Friday, and if Bill Parcells doesn't order Carr signed before another team does, then shame on Tuna.

There are pricier free agent targets out there for Miami, such as offensive lineman Alan Faneca, cornerback Asante Samuel and safety Eugene Wilson. But none plays a more important position or one of greater need than Carr, whom the Dolphins can get for pocket change.

Miami seems disinclined to accept my free advice and spend its No. 1 draft pick on Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan in April, and that means the realistic option will be to bring in a veteran as a stopgap starter for 2008 while the club waits to see if Beck (or whatever rookie passer might be drafted with a lower pick this year) blossoms from caterpillar to butterfly.

It doesn't make much sense to spend draft picks or waste a big salary by trading for a guy like Buffalo's J.P. Losman if you believe Beck or the kid you're about to draft will be ready in a year or two.

Click here to continue

2. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I think it is time for a QB change in Miami. They went all last year with only one win. If I was them I wouldnt wanna go through another year like that. Time for change BottomLine

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

No Beck? If they are going to change and have given up on Beck already, why not draft Matt Ryan?

4. KJ3

KJ3 Terminally Slack-Jawed

um....miami? tuna? you guys?

don't sign david carr.

signed,

everyone who loves the texans, the panthers, and anyone who generally wants the game to have its players displaying a certain level of knowledge about the game.

5. The Red

The Red GO BLUE!!!

I don't think Carr would be that bad with a decent O-Line. I mean the Texans sucked the whole time he was there IMO so that hurt his career. Wasn't he sacked like a record number of times with that sorry butt OL in Texas?

6. KJ3

KJ3 Terminally Slack-Jawed

oh man...here we go with this conversation again...was it carr? was it the texans?

i don't want to come off as defensive about it, but carr just doesn't have it and never really did. he had all the physical qualities you would want, and none of the mental. i'm not ruling out that the texans may have ruined his chance at a decent career but to be fair as soon as he left the texans were in the top 5 (i think) in sacks given up with about 25 or so. and look at how he dragged carolina down...he's one of the bigger busts this decade.

7. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

He's pretty much the answer for noone IMO. As KJ3 said, physical - yes, mental - no. He's to slow reading the D and find an open target to throw to.

8. JPETERSON

JPETERSON Dr. Feelgood

Hey, as long as its not Trent Green, I'm happy.
    Never was really sold on David Carr....dont think it'd be enough of an upgrade to make a major difference.