Chargers camp preview

Discussion in 'San Diego Chargers' started by BoltsFanUK, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Charger Fan in The UK

Three Burning Questions

Do the Chargers have enough offensive firepower at WR to get over the hump this season?

One of the biggest reasons San Diego lost to New England in the playoffs was marginal play at wide receiver. Eric Parker has been a starter, but he should be a No. 3 at best. Vincent Jackson improved last season, but he needs to be more consistent. The wild card will be rookie Craig Davis. Even though young receivers take some time to develop, the Chargers need him to make solid contributions if this offense is going to take that final step.

Can new head coach Norv Turner deliver?

Say what you want about former head coach Marty Schottenheimer's career playoff record, but he still led this team to an NFL-best 14-2 record in 2006. He has also had a lot more coaching success than Turner. Turner will have to win over this team, and if the Chargers start out slowly, grumbling from players could emerge.

Is Philip Rivers ready to take the next step and become an elite NFL starting QB?

He showed signs of becoming that guy during the first half of last season. Over the second half of the season, especially late in the year, he struggled. His accuracy was not as good and he was not throwing the deep ball as effectively. Rivers will have to prepare himself much better this season, both physically and mentally, so he does not wear down. Rivers does not have a big-time arm, but his intangibles are off the charts, and he needs to rely on those intangibles to play better down the stretch. If he can do that, we think he can eventually develop into an elite NFL starting QB.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/insider/news/story?id=2931741&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ftrainingcamp07%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d2931741%26lpos%3dspotlight%26lid%3dtab2pos1

2. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Do the Chargers have enough offensive firepower at WR to get over the hump this season?
    Well, I feel their WR core improved a little bit. I expect Jackson to step up and be ready he came on strong towards the end of the season last year. Parker isn't anything special and didn't seem to do well in the playoffs. Craig Davis is going to be the wild card, but I still feel the team lacks a true #1.

Can new head coach Norv Turner deliver?
    I think he can and will. Norv has never been a HC for a team that has this kind of talent on both sides of the ball. I mean they may not be 14-2 again but they will make the playoffs and likely win the west again.

Is Philip Rivers ready to take the next step and become an elite NFL starting QB?
    I feel that he is. Last season was his full season as a starter and he did pretty well. Now they have Norv there as HC and is likely involved with the offense too. He is known for developing young QB's and taking them to that next step. Look at 49ers Alex Smith from his rookie year to the next year. Rivers will take that next step with Turner there.