Early Fantasy Football Question

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by ketbuckfan, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

I am in keeper league for next year and my choices are:

Randy Moss - not real excited about him for next year
    Drew Brees -
    Michael Turner - As in most leagues rb's are very highly drafted. i picked up Turner half way through the season strictly for the keeper league just as a backup.

Please discuss? I need help, i'm struggling on what to do. i dont have to decide until August, but it's never too early to discuss fantasy football.

2. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

Umm, with Rodgers at the helm, I would go with Greg Jennings or Donald Driver for a reciever!!! :icon_cheesygrin: ... They are the ones who are going to become the leaders of the Pack!!!

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Michael Turner is going to a bad team with a bad o-line and no real franchise QB under center. He doesn't have the weapons around him that the Chargers had when he got in the game. So that would rule him out in my eyes.

That leaves Moss and Brees. Tough choice there.....If I had to choose though I'd stick with Brees. He's been the more consistent of the two over the last couple of years. I also don't like how Moss faded in the playoffs. And at what point does the malcontent re-emerge? I know he had a all-world year last year but what are the chances of a repeat performance? I'd stick to what is consistent, and that would be Brees.

4. ketbuckfan

SRW, yeah that is kind of where i'm leaning, but the lack of rb's in our league scares me. i understand your point on Turner at the Falcons. They're sorry.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Dunno bout this year but last year Moss put up qb type numbers for me last year, too bad Palmer didn't :cry2:

6. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I think it kind of depends on the league setup. Do you lose a draft pick for protecting one of the guys? Do you keep just 1 of the 3? How many teams are in the league? Do you HAVE to keep 1 or could you put them all back into the pool and get a pick back in exchange?

7. ketbuckfan

No I do not lose a draft pick for keeping one and yes I do have to keep just one. Our league is 12 members. I will be drafting 4th or 5th in the first round.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

4th or 5th in the first round will get you a nice RB. Turner is out of the equation. If you have an inkling that the Patriots will be as good as they were this past season, Randy Moss is your pick up. The drop off in talent from where Moss, Owens, Wayne...were last season to that second tier of WR is greater than where Brees was to the next level down.

QB's can be a dime a dozen...that's why none are drafted extremely high aside from Peyton and Brady...right?

How does the scoring work in your league? That could be a HUGE factor in who to keep.

Not to highjack the thread, but my league we are keeping two players this season. What ever players you keep, they count as your draft pick this season, where ever you pikced them last season. I got Plaxico in the 7th round last season, so I think I may keep him. I got Eli in the 10th last season...so he could be my second...

9. ketbuckfan

Scoring in our leagues for the receivers are: 1 pt per reception, .1 pt per 1 yd, 6 pts per TD

QB - TD's 6 pts, .2 pts per 5 yards, 1 pt every 5 completions, 10 pt bonus for 400yd + game

RB - .1 pts per rushing yard, 1 pt per 5 attempts, td's the same, 10 pt bonus for 200 yd + game

10. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

I'd keep Randy Moss. He's the only elite player at his position of the 3.
    As Ward said, you'll be able to draft a very good RB at 4 or 5.
    QB can wait.

11. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

In a ppr league I'd go with Moss. Solidifying the #1 WR slot before the draft gives you advantages. It's easier to grab a QB in the draft then a WR of his caliber. When your league starts making a run on #1 WRs in late round 2, early round 3 in the draft you can either go elite QB or get another RB and own that position.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Well said. You definitely want to keep Moss in this league. He's going to get a good number of receptions and should have the TD's to back those up.

QB's are easier to get in the later rounds if you can't get a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

I don't see Brees getting a lot of 400 yard games to reach that 10 point bonus, although the points per 5 completions could add a little, but Moss' point/catch outweighs that in my opinion.

13. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I agree with everyone else. In this league setup you almost have to keep Moss imo. 86 Ward and Wide Right both explained it really well so I won't go any further on that.

14. Fricker 4

Fricker 4 Crabtree fall to 10

Yep i agree if all you have to choose from are those 3, i would go with Moss. You can pick up a RB with your first pick.

My league is a 2 man keeper 12 man league, i drafted Randy Moss and Adrian Peterson.
    Then i made a blockbuster trade with a guy, i gave him Torry Holt, Wille parker, and Ernest Graham for Tomlinson. So this year im ready, i have All Day and LT as my backs before the season even starts. Giving me a WR to go after round 1 since brady and manning will be goine.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

you're in alright shape there fricker...

16. nlsmike

nlsmike NLS Owner

Not knowing scoring and stuff for the league makes it really hard to judge who to keep in this situation for me. I am probably going to go with Michael Turner though because he was brought there to run the ball. I stay away from keeping QB's because they are easier to come by then starting RB's. Randy Moss would be my second choice.

17. Fricker 4

Fricker 4 Crabtree fall to 10

I wouldnt do this, but its your team, its decisions like these that make champions.

My take is like the rest of them, QBs are a dime a dozen, I pick any one up in the 6th or 7th round after i got my Wrs and Rbs, What you might also want to consider before you make your pick. See if your keeper league has an area in the database that shows who everyone is keeping. If a bunch of Rbs are kept that id prob still take Moss to be honest. Because that means everyone will be going after a WR in Round 1. I dont know it works both ways. I just dont see Keeping Atlantas Running game, even if its some one new there like Turner. To me he is not a Top 12 Back, maybe be lucky to be top 18. With 11 other teams besides your own, you know some one is keeping LT, Manning, Brady, probably Adrian Peterson, You catch my drift there is going to be at least 5 non Rbs kept in your league making only 7 RBs taken before the draft. I say Keep Randy Moss as there is only 4-5 types of those players and i can promise he will have the same kinda season. They have the easiest Strength of schedule this year.

With your 4th pick, you could probably easily get a baller, like Marion barber even though i hate the cowboys, or a few other high quality backs. Shiet if you were lucky i would hope for Gore. I know he was a big let down last year. But this year with Martz in the lineup, he has been talkin about setting Gore up out at WR and many other things. Plus an improved Oline. There is a little bit of homerism in this but its more seriousness.

I just think keeping michael Turner would be a big mistake, since you can probably get him in the 2nd to 3rd round anyways. Thats the other thing you have to consider. Moss is a big name and is definately goin in first round or 2. Turner alot of people wont know what he can do. So he will slide.

Plus if you think about it, Darren McFadden will be out there, still got MArshawn Lynch in Buffalo, wayyyy to many caliber Backs to take before Turner

So what happened with the rest of your team??? Why are those the only 3 people you can keep.

18. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

post the scoring and your entire team
    then ill post my two cents

19. ketbuckfan

The rest of team sucked. My number one running back last year was Alexander, I traded him midway through the season for Cooley and another RB.

WR's were Coles, Moss, & Ward
    Best RB's on my team at the end of the year were Dunn & Jones (Jets).

The three I listed earlier are the only 3 worth keeping.

20. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

yeah, those three are you only real option then