Eli Manning Says Giants Don't Need Plaxico Burress

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by Sportsguy, May 21, 2009.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Perhaps quarterback Eli Manning has just grown tired of hearing how much the New York Giants' offense is supposedly going to miss star wide receiver Plaxico Burress. "I feel confident," Manning said. "They didn't need to go and get a big wide receiver. When Plaxico was injured, the guys stepped up and put up big points. It's not like we need to have him. We put up big points. It's not like we weren't playing well because of Plaxico. We just weren't playing very good football. Young guys are getting more experience. Last year was very beneficial for them because they got to play so much."

Source: Profootballtalk.com

2. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

i get the feeling Eli likes to say "Big Points"

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

he's right, to a point but you can not deny not having burress helped the eagles to beat the giants in the playoffs.

4. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

The Plax situation like TO and Dallas. He will be missed (on the field) short term, but long term it's better that they are gone.

Everything went to hell after the he capped himself, including the defense. Last year it was a shock to the system losing him and having to adjust, not to mention I'm sure it hyped up our rivals confidence when playing us. Now we have a whole off season to prepare and adjust the offense.

We have a lot of talent at WR and TE, we need players to step up.

5. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

ya easy to say you don't need him now beacause you already got a ring.

6. SoDev

...huh. :huh:

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

you know, the team has said that the loss of burress won't affect them. they said the same thing about shockey when he left.

at a certain point fellas, the loss of talent WILL affect you ...................

8. SoDev

...shockey? Trading him has worked out wonderfully for us.

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i didn't mean for it to sound like i was putting shockey up on a pedestal because i agreed that he needed to leave the team. i could have also mentioned strahan, wilson, etc.

my point is that the mentality of this team seems to be that they can succeed with anyone on the team and, even though i like their toughness, there is a certain reality that when starter after starter after starter leaves, you can't just expect to replace them immediately with equal production.

10. Rich7880

Rich7880 HOLD ME!

The Giants won the Superbowl when Shockey went down!

11. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

The biggest difference was the gameplans teams had vs the giants without him. The eagles dident have to double team plax and look what happened no offensive TDS in the 2 games vs the eagles. Besides the one where the eagles players prevent defense in garbage time.But he is right wasent the game vs the panthers without plax and it was high scoreing.

12. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

from football sight, every team miss players like Burress or TO

13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

It's always tough to replace a weapon like those guys.

14. SoDev

What is Eli supposed to say, ya know? "oh, noes we can't pass now and we can't run because we can't pass" :moe:

He's saying we are going to get it done without him (the only attitude he should take). It will be tough, and there will be growing pains in the receiving game (lost Toomer too), but we are moving on. We have a lot of yound weapons and a great running game. The Giants gonna be alright.

15. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

plex prob won't play this year anyways

16. Dfence

Dfence Special Teamer

Simply put, there are ways to win without Plax....

With him gone, they have to find a new way to be productive in the passing game to make the team a multidimensional problem for defensive coordinators again.......

What Eli is saying is, he's gone, we move on....time to find that new way....

17. ball in the baskett

bradshaw should get some carrys i think he will be better than ward. Bradshaw got like one carry a game atleast the ones vs the eagles.

18. MississippiBlue

MississippiBlue Starter

I agree with manning. The Giants will be fine and have been fine thus far. Although Plaxico's talent will be missed, he is not the team, he's just a player and the team will survive.

19. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Well, the Giants 5-0 record is living proof that the Giants don't need Plax. Steve Smith has come along very nice for the Giants this year.

20. ball in the baskett

Meh they havent played great teams lets wait and see.