Ex-Bears LB Brian Urlacher Says He Doesn't Have A Desire To Play Football Again

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by SRW, Jun 22, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Bears legend Brian Urlacher would have appreciated one more shot at football with the Dallas Cowboys this season. Now that he's retired, though, he has no desire to suit up again on Sundays.

"My agent ... went through every scenario, what if so-and-so calls? What if they offer me $10 million?" Urlacher said Friday, via the Chicago Tribune. "I don't want to play. I don't have a desire to play. I'm not in shape. I haven't been doing football stuff. I'm sure I'll miss it when it's time to put the pads on and stuff. But I won't miss how my body feels when I'm done."

Although many high-profile players turn to a career in television or coaching, Urlacher is content to spend his days golfing -- at least for now.

Fox Sports told the Tribune it would entertain the idea of hiring Urlacher as an analyst, but the interest isn't mutual.

"I don't think I would be very good on TV broadcasting games," Urlacher said. "'He's running left, he's running right, 28 has the ball.' I don't know. We'll see. I've got a lot of time to think about it."

Urlacher also doesn't believe he would be a good coach because the long hours hold no appeal for him.

"I feel bad for them," Urlacher explained. "During the season, they work 90 hours a week. I don't want to do that."

Source: NFL.com

2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Not surprising....He doesn't have anything left in the tank anyway.

3. axmickl

axmickl Rookie

I'm sure he doesn't need anything in the tank but the tons of cash he has earned.

4. Badger

Badger Rookie

Thats like telling your ex that you didnt want to be with them anyways after they dumped you.
    To me, it just sounds like Urlacher trying to save face because he knows that no one is calling him anytime soon and probably not ever.

5. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Perhaps but he isn't the the same player anymore as much as I hate to say that, it was time to retire even though one more season of him on the Bears would be sweet.

6. Badger

Badger Rookie

I think he can still play. The Bears just wanted a hometown discount and weren't willing to pay him what he thought that he was worth.
    As a Packer fan, Im happy to see him gone. The Bears got a little easier to beat without him. They will really have to, "bear down" on defense without him.

7. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Urlacher had lost a step; I watched it happen with Derrick Brooks. Not only that, but Urlacher started to have injury problems. It was time for him to walk away

8. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

9. Badger

Badger Rookie

He's had injury problems for years though. Now suddenly he doesnt want to play? To me, it sounds more like a mental thing. Urlacher is acting like a little kid who is pouting because he didnt get his way, so he wants to sit in the corner and feel sorry for himself.

10. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Once you hit a certain age and have made your money, what are you playing for? Of course he wants a ring, but he knew that probably wasn't going to happen, so instead of pulling a Brett Farve, he walked away.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, this works out well since no nfl team desired his services any longer either.

enjoy your retirement brian.

12. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

Sure he suffered significant injuries in the 3 of the last 4 years but he bounced back just fine from the 2004 and 2009 injuries. And overall he had 3 seasons in his entire career that he did not play a full 16 games: 2004, 2009 and 2012. His injury in the last game of 2011 was the biggest setback, it really held back his ability to have a full training camp in preparing for 2012. He still was able to be effective last season but you could tell he definitely lost a step (or more) and was mainly surviving on veteran instincts. Then to have another leg injury on top of that in the Seattle game this past season, that is tough for a guy his age who has played in that NFL that long.

I don't doubt for a second he is still butt-hurt about the offer the Bears gave him and if someone that thrown more money at him, he would have signed somewhere. I don't think he is being a crybaby by not accepting a minimal salary simply to extend his career. He is a HOF caliber player who had to face the realization his body can't do what he wants to do anymore. In a way I'm glad he was able to retire when he did rather than hanging around another year or two as a player who was a shell of his former self.

In the end, the dude speaks his mind and doesn't give two craps what anyone thinks and I appreciate that.

13. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Got out when he still had the ability to walk away.

14. Badger

Badger Rookie

He didn't get out. No one wanted him.

15. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I wonder what Urlacher's asking price was for teams like the Vikings and Cowboys who where reportedly interested in him. Anyway though, i'm actually glad he retired when he did. Seeing him in another uniform would not look right.

16. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

He was interested in the Cowboys, they didn't want him. He was probably asking for $5 mill+