Ex-Jaguars OT Richard Collier Plans On Walking Again

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by BigBlueBruiser, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Richard Collier had made a promise to those close to him that he would stand for his July wedding, that he would remove the veil from his bride's face and kiss her when pronounced man and wife. Collier, 29, a former offensive tackle for the Jacksonville Jaguars, was left paralyzed from the waist down and had his left leg amputated after he suffered multiple gunshot wounds -- 14 to be exact -- in an ambush-style shooting in early 2008. Collier's life hung in balance for weeks, he underwent 15 surgeries and, to this day, continues to deal with medical problems. His doctors say he will never walk again. "I will never let people tell me what I can't do," Collier told a FanHouse reporter, a wide grin spreading across his face as he sat in his motorized wheelchair here in the living room of his home, 15 minutes or so from Alltel Stadium, where he played two seasons for the Jags. "I plan on walking again. I really do. I don't doubt myself, I don't put limits on myself. I wake up every day and I smile and I laugh because I'm alive. They have told me I would never walk again, but, man, I stood at my wedding the entire time. I really wanted to stand tall at my wedding, to show people this is what I've been doing for the last year and a half. "And I got to kiss my wife standing up." Collier stood with the help of an intricate brace that was strapped onto the outside of his body at the hips and extended around his legs.

Source: NFL Fanhouse

2. That's the spirit Richard....we're pulling for you. :peace: