Ex NBA Star Dennis Rodman Says Lebron James 'Average' If He Played In The 90's

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Dennis Rodman says LeBron James would be "average" if he played in the 1990s, and insists James' Miami Heat would be no match for his old Chicago Bulls team.

"It's really not a comparison. If LeBron was playing in the late '80s and early '90s, he would be just an average player," Rodman said Friday on "The Dan Patrick Show." "To do what Michael has done ... what he did was more charisma, there was more articulating and stuff like that. LeBron is more like ... there's no flash to his game. He's a great player, don't get me wrong, he's a hell of player, I'll give him that. But to me Scottie (Pippen) and Michael are probably the two best one-two punches I've ever seen."

Rodman, who won three NBA titles with Jordan's Bulls from 1996-98, said a 28-year-old Jordan would average at least 40 points a game in today's NBA.

"I'm just sick and tired of people comparing (James) to Michael Jordan," Rodman said. "It's a whole different era, man."

Source: ESPN Chicago

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

god**mn troll, shut up with this bullcrap

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Got to admit, I would like to see LeBron in the 90's...

4. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Kim Jong Un told him to say this.

5. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Wonder what would happen if Lebron's Heat played against Isiah's Pistons?

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

He definitely couldn't be as soft as he is today. He'd still be far from average, though.

7. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

If you look at his freaking physical assets, he would still be freaking good in the 90's. I know a lot of people hate Lebron but the dude is a freaking beast and a baller, he's a bit of a choke artist, and definitely does not show up when he needs to but he would be far from average, maybe on the verge of dominant.

8. Steve12

I would agree with you if you posted this 2 or 3 years ago. This criticism of him is far outdated though.

9. DawkinsINT

Even 2 or 3 years ago it would not be true.

10. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

I'm just surrounded by people that absolutely freaking hate Lebron, and it's actually quite annoying, I forgot I was on this forum for a while, just flashed back to the last drunken screaming debate I had with one of my friends about Lebron, god his hate for that dude is unparalleled.

11. Steve12

More true than now. Before he won the championship it was commonplace for people to say it. Now he has proven beyond doubt that he is definitely clutch. If you go by stats, he is in fact the "most clutch" player in the game.

Crap I'm a hater. I love seeing him lose. I'm pulling hard for the spurs. But there's no denying how great Lebron is. People that hate on his game are just not watching objectively. He is the best player alive, with no one close behind. To deny that is just crazy. Tell your friends to wake up and just be thankful they'll get to tell the younger generation someday that they got to see Lebron in his prime.

12. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

I dont like him but i dont hate him heck the heat though

13. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

I'd like to see LeBron back then too.

Don't doubt he'd adapt to a good degree but as an example, when they 'closed the lane' back then, it closed with a bang. Better coaching back then/adjustments during games-series & more players willing to follow the game plan with a lot more refs swallowing whistles in the playoffs.

14. Steve12

I just think comparisons like this are dumb to make. If you magically took the real Lebron from today and put him in the 90's he definitely wouldn't be able to play like he does. But the same could be said of Jordan if you magically moved him so he was playing today. He would foul out of every game.

But if Lebron was born earlier and grew up playing in the 80's and 90's his game would be the game it had to be to excel then.

Does that make sense? For some reason I feel like i'm having a hard time saying what I want to say in text so it makes sense lol.

15. DawkinsINT

James would have dominated back then. With his size and quickness, nobody could have stopped him. The lanes didn't close as fast as nostalgia tells you. Watch old games, Jordan and tons of others got layups all the time, even in half-court.

16. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Rodman is a freaking moron.

17. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Heat would get thrashed by the Bad Boys and Bulls.

LeBron would still be a top 3 players though

Sent from my HTC Vivid

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Only one player could ever make the transition back and forth...:laughy32:

[NSFW][​IMG][/NSFW]

19. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

funny that stats matter when it isn't about romo :icon_cool:

But I've long said (and I will probably be criticized for this) that if Jordan played in today's game, he wouldn't be as great as he was then. I think he was just athletically superior in that time and his athleticism isn't as rare today as it was then. He'd still be a great player, but would he be so widely considered the GOAT? I dunno :icon_confused:

20. Steve12

Holy crap man your obsession with my Romo hate is bad. Lol. Romo has great stats. He's a decent quarterback that can rack up stats. But he cannot win. He is crap in big games. His record backs that up. I've said that forever.

Lebron has great stats and wins in big games. That's the difference between him and Romo. Romo had great stats and loses, that's why his stats don't really matter in discussing his "greatness."

And about the Jordan thing, I agree with you if we took the Jordan we know and put him in todays game. But if he was born 20 years later I still think he would have developed into the greatest in todays game. Some people just have it in then to do what it takes to be the best.