Fact Or Fiction: Bonus Edition

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by PSID412USM, Sep 1, 2013.

1. PSID412USM

PSID412USM Pro Bowler

FACT OR FICTION?

Hey folks since I mess up I feel like I should give you a second Fact or Fiction column this week. So yeah please enjoying reading and now to the quesitons

1. Does having Sean Payton back make the Saints a favourite for the Superbowl?

[​IMG]

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction The Saints are not a favourite for the Superbowl. They are, however, a contender. The Saints are going to have a motivational boost with the return of Sean Payton, and everybody on that team from Payton to Brees to the 53rd guy on that roster is going to have a chip on their shoulder. They will be a better team, especially with Rex Ryan's defence.

InsaneBoost: Fiction Having Sean Payton back doesn't make the Saints a favourite to win the Super Bowl, but it certainly gives them a better chance than they had last season without him. Though Drew Brees did well for not having Payton last year there's still other concerns with the team, starting with their defence.

2. Moving the NFL Draft to May in a good move?

[​IMG]

RichLikeWh0a: Fact/Fiction It's not like this move was made by choice--they didn't really have one. That said, it could be a good thing with a little more time to evaluate talent and give extra time to injured talent to recover and get some work-outs in for teams. Of course, that's also more time for draft stocks to change. The negative, however, is obviously it will take longer to get to the draft, which is kind of horrible from a fan standpoint.

InsaneBoost: Fiction Moving the draft to May has no effect on the NFL at all, minus a chance to make more money for the extra two weeks before the draft. Of course moving the draft back two weeks would make the time in between OTA's and Mini Camps a bit shorter, but that just means the time between the Super Bowl in the draft is longer. No matter how you look at it, there's no difference, expect when it comes to advertising.

3. Jonathan Baldwin and AJ Jenkins will benefit from a change of scenery?

[​IMG]

RichLikeWh0a: Fact It can't hurt for either of them to get a second chance elsewhere. I do think it benefits Jenkins more than Baldwin, as it seems the 49ers and Jenkins never really clicked. It will be nice to see if either of them can step up and become valuable members of their respective teams, but either way, I would certainly say their odds are significantly better on their different teams.

InsaneBoost: Fact Jonathan Baldwin probably won't see much time in San Francisco, or at least not anything more than what he saw in Kansas City. AJ Jenkins on the other hand could become a bigger target than what he was in San Francisco, making his change one for the positive.

4. One division will send 3 teams into the playoffs this year?

[​IMG]

RichLikeWh0A: Fiction I believe there are a lot of divisions that have that potential going into the season. That, however, is certainly a dual-edged sword. With so many divisions having that potential, I think the playoffs are going to be incredibly competitive to get in to. I could be off base, but I think both conferences are stacked this season.

InsaneBoost: Fiction To say it can't happen would be wrong, as the last time this happened was in 2007 with the Dallas Cowboys winning their division, as well as the New York Giants and Washington Redskins making the wildcard. That however happened when most teams in the NFC were bad. That however is no longer the case. The only division that appears to have the talent to pull that would be the NFC North, but with competition in the NFC South, NFC East and NFC West, that more than likely won't happen.

5. Is having at least one game every Thursday in the NFL a mistake?

[​IMG]

RichLikeWh0a: Fact This might just be my personal opinion, but forcing teams to go through a short week all the time is a mistake. I think it can lead to more fatigued players going into the game, which obviously can hamper the quality of their play and consequently the game. Another thing that can hamper the quality is the lack of preparation and practice. It just isn't necessary..

InsaneBoost: Fiction Having football every Thursday isn't a mistake, but rather the teams they match-up on Thursdays is. Last season there were some horrific games which needless to say didn't grab much attention, however with better match-ups this season, Thursday night could get a boost.

So yeah there you go we will be back on Thursday for the next one. So till then this is PSID412USM signing out.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Re: Fact Or Fiction

Finally some differing opinions lol. Nice surprise article.

I agree with rich about the saints. The return of Payton will have a huge impact strategically and motivationally, if that's a word.

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Great work!

4. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

I might differ a bit in the Baldwin/Jenkins one. Baldwin may not really make a difference behind Boldin and Kyle Williams, plus we're awaiting Crabtree and Manningham after week 6. And Jenkins, he just doesn't have the mental makeup to thrive in the pros. He won't last in KC beyond this season.

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Well done.