Florida St. coach Jimbo Fisher cautious about new college football playoff

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher remembers when winning the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl made for a great season, and he's concerned that the move to a playoff will further diminish what used to be significant accomplishments.

"When I was a child, I remember who won the Sugar Bowl, who won the Orange Bowl, who won the Cotton Bowl, who won the Rose Bowl," Fisher said Tuesday. "It was a big deal to go. We act like that's not a big deal now. That's one of the great things you have in college football. We're so involved in winning a championship that we're forgetting the tradition and history of doing things."

The Seminoles (14-0) won the Vizio BCS National Championship on Monday night, beatingAuburn 34-31.

Source: Continue Reading

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Well, this has always been the argument from college football traditionalists. However, the thing jimbo is forgetting is that if he wants he and his fellow coaches to continue to make more and more millions of dollars, the universities must continue increasing their revenue streams.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to a lot of things and I remember the Sugar, Cotton, Orange and Rose Bowls just like Fisher. They never had sponsors names either. But that was the 1970's and this is 2014. Fisher is wasting his breath.

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Major Bowls are dying. All that will be left is the shell of a name preceded by a giant corporate sposorship.

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Hi mush - I completely agree to the point where I can see the highest bidder winning the trophy/bowl name for the championship game.....The Exxon Bowl or The IBM Bowl. Could be some spirited bidding for that one.

6. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I was a fan of this whole playoff idea when the idea first came out but now i wish they had stayed with the BCS