Former Raider DB Jack Tatum Dead At 61 Years Old

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by MediaGuy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Jack Tatum, one of the hardest-hitting defensive backs to ever play in the NFL, has died of a heart attack, Columbus television station WBNS reports on its website. He was 61. After starring at Ohio State, Tatum enjoyed a 10-year career, spending nine of them with the Oakland Raiders (1971-79). During his time with that team, he made three Pro Bowls and helped it win Super Bowl 11. Although Tatum's trademark was his fierce, physical play in the secondary, he also had good hands, racking up 37 career interceptions.

Source: Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Dammmmn man, one of my all-time favorites. RIP.

3. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

4. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

R.I.P.

Much Respect!

5. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Damn, and I just watched him get an interception during his season with the Oilers yesterday.

RIP

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

cant believe hes not in the hall

7. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Wow, he was awesome. :tombstone:

8. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

9. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Tatum was a badbutt...rest in peace.

10. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

11. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

see you in hell butthole

12. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Really?

Stay classy. :icon_rolleyes:

13. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

I don't wish harm on anyone but after paralyzing Darryl Stingley he never showed any remorse for paralyzing him (on an overthrown ball in a preseason game), never tried to reach out to him, until he had a chance to profit from it with books ans tv shows, to actually ask Stingley to participate....no hey man sorry that happened...but hey after all these years hows about letting some TV cameras in your house and let me write a book about what happened so I can make some cash!! but I'm not sorry at all about what happened.... He was a great hitter and a bad butt but a terrible human being....so yeah I stand by my previous statement.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

It was a clean hit, he didn't owe Stingley anything.

15. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Think we should keep this on topic. I mean it is a death announcement. Start a new thread to discuss that issue please.

16. nastynate184

nastynate184 Fuck Michigan

Rip to a great raider and buckeye legend sad day for raiders and buckeyes fans both

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Wow it was a freak accident chill out the man just died

17. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

not gonna comment anymore on it in here, but it wasn't the hit it was how he handled it for years after the hit....including trying to make money off of it and expecting Stingley to partake

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

RIP Assassin. RIP.

19. Harvs....thats how the game was played back then.

A lot of those hits were legal, including the unfortunate one that caused Stingley's paralysis. I guess in Tatum's mind that since that was a legal hit....he felt there was no need for an apology.

Not defending Tatum entirely though....he could've at least reached out to Darryl to see how he was doing but that was his decision. Tatum said before Super Bowl XL that he still had few regrets how he played the game. Unfortunately....this went unresolved between Tatum & Stingley.

I know it's hard for you and the rest of the New England fans to say something nice about Jack. But its best not to say anything at all if you don't.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Tatum's wikipedia page was hacked.....real sense of maturity.

Jack Tatum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia