Giants Sign OG Shawn Andrews

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by SoDev, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

The most talented free agent available at any position has found a surprising home. The Giants announced they signed former Eagles guard Shawn Andrews on Friday morning, while waiving offensive lineman Cliff Louis in the process. We're going to assume Andrews wasn't picked up to solve the Giants' quarterback shortage. Andrews has serious physical and mental health questions, but it's not like there are many 27-year-old two time Pro Bowlers just sitting out there on the market. He's a relatively low-risk and high reward pickup.

Morning surprise: Giants pick up Shawn Andrews | ProFootballTalk.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Just sent in the news scoop a couple minutes ago.

It is a very low risk....high reward signing. Before injuries and psychological issues.....Andrews was one of the elite offensive guards in the NFL.

3. SoDev

I like it a lot. Hopefully a fresh start will help him.

And as long as he's better than Cliff (who?) Louis we've upgraded our backups.

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

andrews

he bailed on the UFL? he was drafted lol

5. If he stays healthy and gets his personal issues in order....this could be a mega steal. Andrews will be strictly a backup this year at guard and possibly at tackle.

But he could compete for a starting gig in the future.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

if this guy gets his head on straight and has his vag**a removed this could be a big pick-up.

7. SoDev

I like it a lot. Hopefully a fresh start will help him.

And as long as he's better than Cliff (who?) Louis we've upgraded our backups.

8. Do you see Andrews possibly competing for a starting gig as soon as 2011 if he gets his issues in order Dev?

I believe so.....he still has plenty talent left. He just fell off the wagon quite a bit the last couple of seasons.

I thought maybe Mitch Petrus would eventually supplant Rich Seubert in a year or two and maybe he'll still get a chance....but I think he'll get competition from Andrews and the Giants brass could throw him into the mix to start next offseason.

9. SoDev

edit - nm

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. Not a problem.....I'll paste my latest comment over to the other thread.

Lock 'em up GIF brbutt....

11. Do you see Andrews possibly competing for a starting gig as soon as 2011 if he gets his issues in order Dev?

I believe so.....he still has plenty talent left. He just fell off the wagon quite a bit the last couple of seasons.

I thought maybe Mitch Petrus would eventually supplant Rich Seubert in a year or two and maybe he'll still get a chance....but I think he'll get competition from Andrews and the Giants brass could throw him into the mix to start next offseason.

12. SoDev

Talent wise, hell yes, he's only 27, but there is a big IF/BUT factor with him. Let's see if he can shine in a backup role this year first. :icon_thumright:

13. SoDev

edit - nm

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. Exactly what I mentioned in my earlier post....if he can get his issues in order. There won't be any pressure on Andrews this year and that could be a good thing for him. He'll be happy just being on an NFL roster and making any sort of a contribution.

We've been making alot of solid free agent signings this offseason with not much fanfare....but could also be pivotal for our success if they pan out.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Giants sign Shawn Andrews - Giants Blog - ESPN New York

15. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I'd like to wish the Big Kid luck, but since he's going to be a Giant, I can't really do that.

16. this is an interesting signing.

What was rumored to happen is Seubert would lose his starting job to current LT David Diehl. Then at LT William Beatty would step in. Another way they could do it is moving Diehl to RT and bench Kareem Mckensie.

Giants fans do you like the idea of moving Beatty into the starting lineup.

17. I think Diehl will hold off Beatty this year for the left tackle job.

Beatty will likely get the gig in 2011.

As for Seubert....the signing of Andrews makes it a bit more interesting next year if he makes strides this season as a backup. Petrus was drafted to possibly potentially replace Seubert but with Andrews now in the mix.....he could alter those plans if he can stay healthy and get his emotional issues in order.

Not often you sign a three time Pro Bowler who's still only 27 in the middle of August.

With the current state of injuries to our offensive line.....Andrews may see some playing time tomorrow night against Pittsburgh.

Ohm Youngmisuk: Twitter.com

CBS Sports

CBS Sports

18. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Giants fans who are excited about the possibilities here please go to youtube and search for E.D.I.D.
    Lol at whichever of you called this brokedown bum a steal. Steal from the UFL maybe

Nobody else wanted him

19. Hey Dr. Faggot, how nice of you to grace us with your presence. :peace:

Ralph Vacchiano: Twitter.com

20. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Bravo sierra to that twit. Who the heck would be dumb enough to believe his agent?