GridironFans.com Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by SRW, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

I plan on upgrading the site from vBulletin 3.8 to something else. The something else part is what I am stuck on. There is a possibility that in a site upgrade we might lose our complete database and have to start over. Members would have to re-register. I was thinking that as a perk for our members now we could make it so members could register on the new site with a new screenname of their choice. All we ask is that they add something in their user title, signature, profile (whatever the new site will have) that lets people know their name on GIF 4.0.

So feel free to sound off. I want to know what our members want out of GIF and what will make this place a better overall experience for users and guests.

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

will everything be lost? like total posts and stuff? otherwise that sounds cool. was wanting to change my name anyway. Not much you can really do to upgrade the experience here. why more don't come here and join is beyond me.

3. SRW

Yeah, there's a possibility we could lose all our threads and posts. We might convert to something that vbulletin won't be compatible with.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

would you still be able to keep you sig? Kinda like that one. But seriously, that would kinda suck. A few of the posts I wouldn't mind losing but some are freaking classic. Especially the Lindsey Lohan one. I am not tech savy so I don't know what the v bulletin means.

5. SRW

The loss of sig pics totally depends on what software we choose to go with. We currently run vbulletin 3.8 but we are overdue for an upgrade. Hell, I don't even know if the site will remain as a forum. Who knows where the next step takes us. That's why I want to see what our loyal members think.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

That would be a real bummer...

I think it also would be a bit risky...not sure some would make it over to the new site.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i love this vbulletin 'forum' format to discuss football. whatever the format is that pft, cbs, and espn use is called, i don't like as much because i can't follow the sequence of the conversation as well. it's very choppy and if someone wants to respond to an older comment, it's harder to find/follow and the convo just dies.

i've always preferred the vbull forum format and have not seen a discussion format that even comes close to being as good, so unless someone can show me a format that's as good or better, i would cry if gif changed their format.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I like the vBull as well. I go on a couple others that aren't vbulletin, but they are very similar.

These are by far the easiest conversations to follow. Setting something up that goes in the "facebook/twitter" direction would be a mistake imo.

9. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

idk if it aint broke why fix it i think

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

[MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION] ... why would you want to upgrade to something else?

11. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

When i was at footballforum.com for a while they had a similar layout like this in the begining then they changed it and we had to start over and the forum is a ghost town nowadays

They also let me be a moderator for a lil while there to lol honestly i just wanted the little icon next to my name lol

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Agreed.

Please don't change.

13. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

If I would change anything it would be to the mobile version. It used to be that if you clicked a thread you would go to the last read post, made life easier.

14. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

as long as the url is still gridironfans.com
    people would still get to the site

15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

As long as I can still log in via tapatalk, it's ok by me. My PC died a few weeks ago and I can't afford a new one...well, until I get my tax returns...

Sent from my LG-970h using Tapatalk 2

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

2nd that Tapatalk.

17. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Same here don't really use the regular site anymore unless I have too

I do about once a week.

Da,n it I knew I should stop posting every time I get to close to 15000 post we lose em. This would be the 4-5 time I lose 10000+ post lol

oh well what ever is best for the site. I'll still be here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

IMO, if you change the forum-based style, you kill the site.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

I have the same feeling. People may still come, but they may not stay if the site is difficult to follow...

20. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

I would like to see 2 things return we had back in the good old days first is the bookie. I know its alot of work but i always see people betting on games. and the second is the smut forum. I think thats forum makes the site unique from other messege boreds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.