Jameis Winston, the franchised quarterback

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SportsChump, Nov 20, 2019.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

It’s getting to be that time, Buccaneers fans. We knew it was coming. Tampa Bay is on the clock and it’s starting to tick aloud.

Your starting quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. That means that finally, after all this time, the Bucs are going to have to s**t or get off the pot when it comes to making a decision about Jameis Winston.

Sound off at: http://sportschump.net/2019/11/20/jameis-winston-franchised-quarterback/21413/

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

You know who Jameis reminds me of? A young Jake Plummer. He also was a turnover machine early in his career and I always thought the Cardinals gave up on him way too soon. Plummer had a great career with the Broncos later and became the answer to the trivia question "Who was the first QB to beat Tom Brady in the playoffs?"

I'd give you a fourth option: rather than cut him, franchise him or extend him, just give him a "bridge" deal with an out clause after 1 or 2 years. Similar to what the 49ers gave Colin Kaepernick in 2015. Sure, it sounded like a 90-million deal at the time, but only 15 million or so were guaranteed, and the Niners opted out after 2 years, making the rest of the contract void. If he makes the leap, you have him locked up for a couple of years giving you time to get him a "real" extension. If he still bombs, you can just opt out.

Of course, that would depend on Jameis accepting such a deal. After seeing what happened to Kaep, I'd say the chances are not to high.

So if he turns it down, just cut his ass...

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Trust me when I tell you, the post wasn't popular among my friends here in Tampa who are ready to start anew.

The problem is that no one came up with a better option at quarterback.

Can't just not have one.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

There could be an interesting QB market this offseason. Cam Newton could be available, also Phillip Rivers and...GASP!!! Tom Brady!! Even Eli Manning! Those are 8 Super Bowl Rings right there!

Or you could always trade up in the draft to start anew. I'm sure the Bengals and redskins are dumb enough to trade down from the top two picks, deciding to wait for Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

Or you could wait for Trevor Lawrence in 2021. Just tag Jameis, watch him throw 30 picks again, and then dump him. It should be fun.

5. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

That's eight Super Bowl rings even if you exclude Cam and Rivers... ZING!

I had heard rumors earlier in the season about Andy Dalton to Tampa but I don't know that that's an answer or anything better than what we already have.

Sounds like Cam to either Cincy or Chicago is a done deal.

That was one of my points in the post. How much worse is Jameis than starting over or any of these options? I'm all down for drafting a QB depending on who's available, which is always a gamble (Trubisky, Goff) but at least one more year gives Arians and Winston a chance to tighten things up.

With Brees one year old, Ryan on the Declyan and the Panthers a big question mark, this is a very winnable division.

TJ likes this.