Jeff Fisher Expected To Hire Saints Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Although it’s tucked at the bottom of a story by Sports Illustrated’s Peter King about Jeff Fisher taking the head coaching position for the St. Louis Rams, it’s worth noting. Per King, Fisher will lure Gregg Williams to St. Louis to be the defensive coordinator, a position Williams held under Fisher previously with the Tennessee Titans before he departed to become the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Williams has done his best diffuse the situation. On Thursday, he said he will not talk to Fisher until after the New Orleans Saints’ season is completed. The Saints play at the San Francisco 49ers in the divisional round on Thursday. "I love here; this is a great organization," Williams said, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "I will tell you this about Jeff: he's my best friend in coaching. The National Football League needs him coaching, they need for him to be a head coach in this league, there's not very many people as good as he is at what he does. I'm anxious to see where he's going to go. I don't know, I don't know any more than you guys. I don't talk to him, I don't mess with him at this time of the year. He doesn't mess with me at this time of the year. We'll meet back up some time this offseason, maybe do some fishing or hunting together, but the National Football League needs Jeff Fisher back on the sidelines, it really does."

Source: National Football Post

2. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

Then the Saints will enter the Steve Spagnoulo sweepstakes.

3. Good bye G. Williams................

4. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

This may just be anger, but heck Greg Williams...what the heck was that. Couldn't hold two 4th Quarter leads. Screw that crap.

5. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

So is the Saints window closing now? I know some key guys on that defense are getting old and now they'll have to go with a whole new defense.

I think as long as they have Brees they have a shot, but I don't think they'll be as good as they have been much longer.

6. Dragonite

The defense has never been that important, but we need to improve our D. As long as the Offense can hang 30 on you we have a shot though.

7. Steve12

Defense was a huge part of the Super Bowl run. Without all those turnovers you guys don't win.

8. Dragonite

Our Offense will always be the most important part. Our D just needs to keep us in games and close out. Obviously they couldn't do the latter today and it cost us. But as long as they keep us in games its fine.

9. Steve12

Crap the top 2 seeds in the playoffs are the 2 worst defenses in the league. So yea really all you need is points and a great QB. Which the Saints have.

10. Dragonite

Exactly though a defense worth two craps that can hold a lead, that'd be nice

11. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Gregg Williams is not to blame to the crapty defense the Saints have. As it's already been mentioned, the Saints have some aging players on defense. Time to start building that defense through the draft.

12. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

40 seconds remaining and only 1 timeout and the 49ers are 45ish yards away for a game tying FG,.....6 man blitz, single man coverage on Vernon Davis....one of the worst defensive calls in NFL history.

The ironic thing is this same defensive mindset brought us a Super Bowl. Lack of turnovers this year killed us.

13. Saintsfan1972

p.s.

How in the hell can you go 18 games this year with no ints......that is the stat line on Jenkins and Harper

14. SRW

The Saints stuck to their strength and lost. If they don't blitz they don't generate pressure. Time to find another end that can bring it off the edge besides Will Smith. Cameron Hayward is not a 4-3 end, the pick still puzzles me.

15. you mean Cam Jordan LOL. Who played pretty well and can play 4-3 end.

16. SRW

Played pretty well....but got how many sacks?

17. Saintsfan1972

this is from a discussion on a saints board.....thought it went well here