John Madden Says Adrian Peterson Is Not A Great Back

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by ronbart, Nov 30, 2008.

1. ronbart

ronbart Pro Bowler

According to Madden, Peterson is a great runner great at the pure act of carrying the ball. But Madden thinks Peterson needs to improve in other aspects of the game before hes truly a great running back. I think as far as a runner, hes one of the best I think thats ever played, Madden told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The greatest runners that Ive ever seen would be guys like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. The greatest running back that I ever saw was Walter Payton because he did it all. He would run it. He would block it. He would catch it. In every area, he was the best. And from Maddens perspective, its those other areas receiving and blocking where Peterson would need to improve before hes a great back. When I say runner, I think [Peterson] is a runner, Madden said. As far as a running back, where you have every facet of the position, I still think that he has some pretty big steps to take. Runner, hes great. He has a chance to be one of the all-time greats. Running back, he still has some work to do.

Source: ProFootballTalk

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

He's got a point. If the guy can run great, but if he can't catch or block, then he's limited.

3. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

He is a great back but I do kind of agree with Madden.

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't put Peterson in the league of Walter Payton, Jim Brown, or Barry Sanders just yet. Lets see how he's doing a few years down the road.

5. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

he never had to be well rounded, he was just fed the ball and told to score...alot of great runners come into the league as crapty blockers

6. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Madden said the same thing like 10 times, that dude loves to repeat himself so much

7. Flaxe1

Flaxe1 1st Stringer

With time I believe AP will be able to join all the other elite backs. Running backs like AP will only get better. He'll eventually pick up the blocks make catches backs should.

8. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

He'll be alright, he needs to start holding onto the ball as well. He doesn't have to do everything, his QB has been effective/efficient recently, so it's not all on him anymore.

9. PurplePeopleEaters

PurplePeopleEaters moon over minnie!

he'll be good with a qb that threatens a defense.

10. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Madden actually made sense there.

11. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

a good qb doesnt help him hold onto the ball any better. he's too cocky with the ball holding it w/ one hand away from his body. i know he will get better at fundamentals, but can he stay healthy long enough?

12. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

His QB will come along, Jackson has made huge strides, I think he can carry it to the playoffs.

13. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

He is in his 2nd season now and still can improve.

14. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I agree with Madden both about AP and the back he called the best ever. I think Walter Payton was the best also. Ap can be great someday. He's already amazing to watch most of the time.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

If AP doesn't handle the ball the way he has in his past however many years, he doesn't make the plays he makes...especially if he's got both hands on the ball...

A QB that strikes fear into a D would help a little bit. In turn, the D wouldn't be able to tee off on Peterson.

16. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

It would be hard for anybody to compare to Walter Payton imo.....he caught the ball, blocked and ran with speed and power....truly the complete package. AP isn't in that league and I doubt he ever will be because of the blocking/recieving.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not many are in Payton's league...certainly not Peterson.

18. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Yawn.....Madden.

19. Flaxe1

Flaxe1 1st Stringer

Peterson is still extremely young and has a few more years to learn and I think he will be able to get those things down. However, even with that, I don't think he'll be able to match up to the greats, such as Payton.