Lions A Front-Runner To Land Free Agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha?

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by SRW, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Lions will be one of three front-runners for the services of top free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, according to NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt. Brandt says the other teams are Philadelphia and Houston. Brandt provided his observations on an NFL.com chat and they were reported by ESPN. "I wouldn't be at all surprised if (the Lions) make a big play for Asomugha," Brandt is quoted as saying. "And I think he would consider the situation in Detroit and playing for Jim Schwartz, who has won the respect of his team. A cornerback's best friend is a great defensive line, and right now the Lions have a pretty good group of defensive linemen." Asomugha, a first-round draft pick of the Raiders in 2003, has played in three Pro Bowls. He has 11 career interceptions.

Source: Detroit News

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

but he want's to win.

3. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Lions aren't as far off as you may think. DLine is beastly and they have a good safety in Delmas, add the best CB in the league and that defense is automatically top-notch

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

that roster would be so disgustingly talented

5. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

yup

if ya look at detroits scheduel they could maybe win 9 games imo

every team that wants asomugha is going to throw money at him

i would bet he is more interested in a serious sb contender

6. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

And is loaded with future lombardi winners and pro bowlers. Too bad history tells us it will all come for another team! :icon_cheesygrin:

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Reality is that the Lions would not be the BEST choice if he wants to win...

That said, the DL is crazy stacked which always make the DBs' job easier.

But the Lions?!? Hell nah, Nnamdi!

8. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

If they can get him and resign Houston they would be set at least in the secondary and Dline.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

That defense would be on it's way to being ridiculous...

10. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Id love to see him go to Detroit. For the last couple years Ive been waiting for them to bust out. Theyre really really close. I really want to see them win.

And didnt Nnamdi say he didnt want anything to do with Houston? Why are they still considered frontrunners?

11. K Train

they really wouldnt have a choice to be good....and they would have done it the way the saints and cards did it....build a ridiculous offense (which got better with titus young and leshoure this year, on top of calvin, pettigrew, bryant johnson, stafford, best) and then build up the defense after the offense is in place....suh and fairley are monsters, avril and KVB are solid options that will benefit greatly from king suh. now delmas and nnamdi in the secondary and houston and alphonso smith werent good last year but both showed flashes, esepcially smith

get this team a stud LB and watch out

12. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

Detroit is definitely on the verge of breaking through. Aso would make their defense that much better, and they'd only be a SS and a quality OLB or two away from being dominant.

As for them being legit playoff contenders, I still think the Lions need to upgrade the oline if they want to go anywhere.

13. K Train

their oline played pretty well last year, the packers were in the same boat with the crapty oline just 2 years ago.

lions could take this divison like the bears did last year, like the packers and vikins have also in the recent years, theyve really put themselves in a position to be successful. and i really like schwartz as a HC for them

14. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

The Texans wont even put up the money for him.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nnamdi is going to break the bank. That's gonna eliminate a lot of teams...lol.

16. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Hell yeah it is.

Move out the way, cheap asses! We comin'!

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

He's also said he wants to go to a contender. Neither Houston or Detroit are really "contenders" at this stage...

18. K Train

i think detroit is getting dangerously close to contending, they have the pieces and the prodction they just need to learn how to finish games

19. FdMstng99

FdMstng99 Man of Steel

If they can keep Stafford healthy I think they can win now.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

I could totally see them put it together and win the division this year. But I wouldn't list them amongst the "contenders," if that makes sense...