Lions Claim CB Tra Battle Off Waivers From Cowboys

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by mike oxlong, May 27, 2009.

1. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

The Detroit Lions have claimed cornerback Tra Battle off of waivers from the Dallas Cowboys, Scout.com has confirmed. Battle was waived on Wednesday and appeared in five games last season for Dallas. He was originally signed by the San Diego Chargers in 2007.

Source: Scout.com

2. theeraser21

theeraser21 u r a slapdick

scout.com screwed that up, Battle mainly plays saftey

3. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

sweet...PS player

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Very good ST player. Can play both CB and S. Was a sub package guy for a couple games last year when we were thin. If you guys stay with a Cover 2, I can see him primarily being a CB.

With his ST ability, I can see him pushing Henry off the roster

5. theeraser21

:rolleyes:

6. Jihad Joe

More flawless logic by eraser, did you google that smiley?

If Henry isnt a top 3 CB, why keep a #4 CB that doesnt play ST. Henry's skills are declining fast, and he cant stay healthy enough to be counted on as a top 3 CB for any team. His career now has basicly come down to being a midseason pickup for a team that has gotten hit by injuries at CB

As for Battle, is he a guy you can count on the crack any rotation.....no. But he is a ST standout, and a versatile DB. If it comes down to a roster spot that is essentially a Dimeback and ST player, you take a player like Battle over a Henry

7. theeraser21

Henry is the second best option the Lions have at cornerback. If he does not start he will play saftey. He is not a good player at this stage in his career, but he is better than having a guy like Eric King start. I think he has at least one more season until he becomes an injury replacement. Battle has no experience playing defense. He is a special teamer. If the Lions wanted to replace Henry they would have signed a cornerback, or replacing him with a player like Kalvin Pearson who had 80 somethin tackles last season. I would not have traded for Henry, but the Lions have named him their starting cornerback already.

8. theeraser21

you try to fix your starting defense before depth and special teams

9. Jihad Joe

Henry is not a starter in this league anymore, plain and simple, and I dont think he is even a decent NB anymore. He has no speed, and is brittle which takes away from his style, which is physical press coverage. His body hasnt been able to hold up the past 4 years and is a shell of the player now we signed in 2005, who even then was a 3rd or 4th tier CB. At this stage in his career Henry is a player you cut after camp, and bring in in week 12 when you get hit hard with injuries. He is gonna make alot more than Battle and offer no flexability (Safety......lol) and doesnt play ST's. Why would you play a CB who cant stay healthy for 3 games at a position where run support responsibility's are doubled

But serioulsy, thanks for the education on a player Ive watched for the past four years

10. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

lol, jj, there is no sense arguing with a yahoo whacker

11. theeraser21

I agree with you about Henry, but other than Buchanon there only other options at CB are Keith Davis and Eric King. If they are going to release him, they need to get some more quality at corner

12. Jihad Joe

But are they making the same coin Henry is? Since he was traded, the Lions wont be on the hook for any guarenteed money if he is cut, and at this point he most likley inst the third best CB on the Lions roster.