Lions QB Matthew Stafford Needs More Reps With WR Calvin Johnson

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by Sweets, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Stafford, who beat out veteran Daunte Culpepper, threw to Johnson 13 times but only connected on three of those passes. Stafford talked to the media today and discussed one of his missed passes. "I need that situation to happen again and when it does, I'll know where Calvin's going to be,'' Stafford said. "We really haven't gotten that many reps together when you think about it. We've been working together for probably three weeks and I've been taking all the (starting reps) for one week. There's a relationship between the guys - I see something and he sees something and we do the same thing. It's going to take it happening again and again. I've got to get to that point where I trust he's going to get to that spot and I'll cut it loose. It's going to happen, it really is. He's a great player. We're going to make some strides and we have to keep working.'' Stafford wasn't using the lack of reps as an excuse for the loss or his own poor performance, he was just explaining how he and Johnson are building their chemistry and he's learning how to get the ball to his best receiver. "What I've got to get used to is, when I'm in a one-on-one with Calvin, I don't have to make the perfect throw when I've got heat on me,'' Stafford said. "I don't have to burn it. I can throw it up there and let him go get it. A jumpball is a good ball to him. If he doesn't catch it, nobody's going to catch it. It's going to take some getting used to, but I'm trying to learn as quick as I can.''

Source: Mlive.com

2. SweetShot03

SweetShot03 Fuck stupid people

I know stafford is a rookie and granted he showed that he is a rookie in the lions game..... but I feel that Stanton should get a shot and see what he can bring to the game.. He has been sitting the lions bench now for how long? 3 years +? I feel he should get more then just 1 pre-season quarter to prove himself.

Not saying Stafford is a horrible player just that he is a rookie and has not had the adiquite time to learn everything there is about a pro team. Hasnt developed the relationships a lot of QBs and WRs do after years of playing together.

Culpepper is the veteran of the team and should most likely be the one taking the snaps, keep stafford ready but let him get more practice in with the receivers to develop the skills he needs to be the QB everyone is expecting him to be.

We do not and I mean DO NOT want another Charlie Batch and Joey Harrington on our team!..... I believe Charlie Batch came to the lions as a rookie and started yes? I might be wrong.

3. lionheart?

lionheart? StafFORD=Franchise

Hey sweetshot, News flash.....Stanton is hurt and if was any good the Lions would have started him. Stafford is not Joey, his skill set and arm strength proove it. There is a lot of good QB's that started slow and ended up just fine.

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Uh yeah. Please get some reps with him. You hecked me over in my FF league by not feeding your star player the ball.

5. SweetShot03

hey lionheart.. I didnt know stanton was hurt my bad. This next sunday will be the first lions game I will have been able to see in 2 years... so I need to play catch up.. last year I was in Iraq and so far this season I work the night shift so I normally am sleeping. Sunday I am off so I will be watching them. I amn ot saying that stafford is a Joey Harrington I am saying it would be a shame if he turned out like he did. Harrington was a great QB in college b ut was put right into the starting line up quick and without any real pro experiance...... sometimes it can turn for the worst but sometimes it doesnt its a gamble....

I was merely stating my opinion, some might agree and some might not.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Stafford to Harrington comparisons? Yikes...

7. SweetShot03

Well its almost a curse for the lions... they have gotten some good QBs but then all the sudden.........? not saying stafford is anything like harrington... simply saying harrington was a good QB in college and then started for the lions and now no one hears about him anymore.....it isnt comparing them as who is a better QB its comparing the lions streek.......

Eh well I know what I mean..... I am not doggin stafford but I guess the way I am putting it, it sounds like I am......

8. Weezy

Weezy Ice Cold

stanton is not a NFL starting QB he wasnt even 2nd round value MM took him about 3 rounds before any other team was going to start thinking about him