Lions WR Calvin Johnson Is Re-Energized After Offseason Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Detroit Lions' started by pctrips, May 12, 2010.

1. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Lions receiver Calvin Johnson hasn't been a part of a lot of good times since being drafted No. 2 overall in the 2007 NFL draft. In three seasons with the Lions, Johnson has been a part of nine total wins and has no Pro Bowl appearances, despite immense talent that combines a 6-foot-5, 236-pound frame with game-breaking speed. The losing, the injuries and the constant double and triple coverages he dealt with last year started to wear on Johnson by season's end and he spoke outwardly of his frustrations. But as he reminded a group of reporters huddled around his locker after an organized team activity practice last week, 2010 is a brand new year. "We have a bunch of bigger guys. We have a lot more speed. We have a lot more skilled players out there," Johnson said. "They brought in Nate (Burleson). We have Bryant (Johnson) from last year. We brought in Tony Scheffler. We got a good running back in the draft. That's why I'm very excited to get going. I'm ready to go right now." That's a 180-degree difference from where Johnson was both physically and mentally by the end of last season. "You have to believe in what your coach is talking about. Everybody has to believe in what he's doing as players," Johnson said of the plan coach Jim Schwartz has for his second season at the helm. "If you don't, there's going to be tension in the locker room and there's going to be tension between you and the coaches, and he can't have that. ... I and the other guys believe in what he's doing."

Source: The Detroit News

2. GMkid1487

GMkid1487 Rookie

Calvin Johnson has a reason to be excited, the Lions management is doing an excellent job in trying to create the next big franchise in the NFL. Calvin Johnson is a excellent reciever and players like Matt Stafford will step up to make the Lions a team that your not embarassed to lose to.