Lord_Joe's Post-Combine Mock

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Discussion' started by Lord_Joe, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

As usual with my mock drafts (think this is my GIF first!! *cherry POP*) I won't be predicting trades and will assume the rosters are as they are as of today (16/03/10)

1. St Louis Rams
    [​IMG]
    Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame.
    I've said since mid-season that Jimmy Clausen would be the #1 overall pick. I thought he would generate media hype after the season ended, but it hasn't happened. Clausen is undoubtedly the best Quarterback in this class, and the most pro-ready starter since Peyton Manning thanks to his pro-style scheme, decision-making, good arm strength and intelligence.

2. Detroit Lions
    [​IMG]
    Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
    The signings of Corey Williams and Kyle Vanden Bosch on the Defensive line have given Detroit a solid, well paid front four. Corey Williams was a beast in the 4-3 before being miscast as a 3-4 end, and his return to a four-man front should do him wonders. Adding Ndamukong Suh would give them a great 3-man rotation at defensive tackle (with Sammie Lee Hill) but it would make their defensive line one of the highest paid in the NFL and with so many holes elsewhere that would end badly.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneeers
    [​IMG]
    Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    For a franchise whose biggest need is defensive tackle, this draft is set up well for them. At #3 they get their choice of the top two DTs (#2 and #3 best overall players in the draft). I think they go with the more rounded player, Suh, as they were abysmal against the run in 2009 and he is better against it than McCoy. Suh brings an interior presence that most teams would kill for, and the Buccaneers have a player to build their defense around.

4. Washington Redskins
    [​IMG]
    Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    I'm sure a lot of people won't like this, but it is the right decision. Bradford is mobile and accurate and is a good fit for Mike Shanahan's play-action based passing attack. Washington's porous O-Line does not need to be as effective in Shanahan's scheme as a lot of the passes are bootlegs or quick release short throws.

5. Kansas City Chiefs
    [​IMG]
    Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Iowa have a reputation for producing offensive linemen than make great pros from day one. All signs suggest Bulaga will be no different. Adding Bulaga has the possibility of upgrading three positions of the offensive line - Bulaga at LT, Albert at LG and Waters at C. Weigmann was signed last week but he is at the end of his career and will probably be a reliable backup G/C. This line can now really open up holes for Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones.

6. Seattle Seahawks
    [​IMG]
    Eric Berry, FS/SS, Tennessee
    The Seahawks are a team with a lot of needs, to see a breakdown check out my 2010 Seahawks Draft thread (http://gridironfans.com/forums/nfc-west-discussion/125318-2010-seahawks-draft.html). At this juncture, the 'Hawks have a choice out of Eric Berry and Gerald McCoy. They look at who is drafting immediately after them - the Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars - and take Eric Berry, with the intention of trading up to #10 from #14 with the Jaguars, who want to trade down for financial reasons, to snag McCoy.

7. Cleveland Browns
    [​IMG]
    Jason Pierre-Paul, DE/OLB, South Florida
    With the trading of Kamerion Wimbley to the Raiders, the Browns have no 3-4 pass rushers outside of the unproven Alex Hall and David Veikune. Jason Pierre-Paul lit it up at the combine after a great season in South Florida. Whilst this pick could be McCoy, I don't think teams view him as a 3-4 end (rightly so), and Mike Holmgren is going to want his first pick to be a flashy, impact player.

8. Oakland Raiders
    [​IMG]
    Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    The correct pick here would be Gerald McCoy. But Vlad Tepes Davis chooses his workout warrior and athletic freak Bruce Campbell. By sheer luck, and zero great analysis on Davis' part, Campbell could turn out to be an elite pass protector for his "quarterback's" (and I use the term "quarterback" loosely) blind side.

9. Buffalo Bills
    [​IMG]
    Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Hurting for offensive tackle help, the Bills select the second Sooner in the top 10, and not the one everyone thought would be off in the top 5. Trent Williams has the potential to be an elite right tackle in the NFL, but because the Bills are so desperate, and after Anthony Davis' offseason struggles, they take him to man the blind side. Williams should be able to handle playing LT in the NFL, and maybe Trent Edwards will show his true potential when he has time to complete a three-step drop.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars
    [​IMG]
    Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    Aside from selling tickets, Jacksonville's number one priority is getting a player or two who can get pressure on the quarterback. Gerald McCoy takes a tumble here, but he is a one-gap penetrator with explosive athleticism and a much higher ceiling than Suh. Having McCoy will make the Jags' entire defensive line better as Groves and Harvey will see much more one-on-one blocking at the end spots.

11. Denver Broncos
    [​IMG]
    Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
    It looks like Brandon Marshall is on his way out of Denver. Dez Bryant is not as talented as Marshall, so McDaniels will see him as a great fit for his offense (Orton over Cutler, Gaffney over Royal, twinky Quinn over Scheffler etc). However, Dez Bryant is good enough to be a #1 receiver in the NFL, although not on the same level as Calvin or Andre Johnson. This is a good pick for Denver, so I find myself doubting it's occurrence.

12. Miami Dolphins
    [​IMG]
    Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
    Jason Ferguson has been a good player for a long time - a very, very long time. With the addition of Dan Williams, he can act in more of a mentoring role, teaching his heir apparent the ropes. Williams has the size of a nose tackle, but the penetrating skills of an under tackle. This can give him some reps at end as well as nose, giving the Dolphins and excellent, young defensive line with Merling, Williams and Langford.

13. San Fransisco 49ers
    [​IMG]
    Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    Nate Clements' possible move to free safety opens up a slot for a young, talented corner like Joe Haden. Haden brings physicality, toughness and excellent athleticism and intelligence to the secondary - and you know Mike Singletary loves this. He wants winners, and Haden is a winner.

14. Seattle Seahawks
    [​IMG]
    Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    While many expect the Seahawks to take one of the highly ranked offensive tackles here, Alex Gibbs has made a career out of using lower round linemen and shaping them into winners in his zone blocking scheme. Pete Carroll is a defensive minded coach and wants to fix the pass rush. In addition to using OLB Aaron Curry and DE Nick Reed in his "Elephant" package like he did at USC, He will want his own pass rusher to mold into his scheme. The best one the board, and in this class, is Derrick Morgan.

15. New York Giants
    [​IMG]
    Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
    I said during the season that Weatherspoon - not Spikes or McClain - is the most talented linebacker in the 2010 Draft. All the hype did nothing to dissuade me from this, and I am glad his performances at the senior bowl and the combine solidified my faith in his abilities. Weatherspoon can play any of the three spots in the Giants 4-3 scheme. He can be plugged in at Middle Linebacker to replace Antonio Pierce, or at Weakside to give them a dynamic playmaker. Either way, the Giants get an extroverted, outspoken leader who will quickly become a fan favorite.

16. Tennessee Titans
    [​IMG]
    Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
    Whilst Brandon Graham is more suited to a 3-4 OLB position, the Titans are so desperate for a pass rush they take him for their 4-3. After an impressive career at Michigan, Graham had an amazing Senior Bowl which vaulted him into the top half of the first round.

17. San Fransisco 49ers
    [​IMG]
    Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    Davis is a big, powerful tackle who can play either tackle spot in the NFL. The 49ers take him here despite his terrible off season where he looked overweight and not as athletic as predicted.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers
    [​IMG]
    Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
    Pittsburgh need help on the offensive line, but that can be found in rounds 2 and 3. What they can't get in the second round, however, the the elite playmaking ability provided by Earl Thomas. Teaming Polamalu up with Thomas will create the most fearsome safety tandem in the NFL.

19. Atlanta Falcons
    [​IMG]
    Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
    This right here is a luxury pick. With the signing of Dunta Robinson, the Falcons can move Brian Williams to safety and see what Christopher Owens has got at corner. Benn brings a big, physical presence that Atlanta lack at WR (nobody is afraid of Michael Jenkins). Benn and White compliment each other perfectly, and spoil Matt Ryan with weapons, having Benn and White at wide out, Gonzalez going over the middle, and Harry Douglas, a promising talent, in the slot.

20. Houston Texans
    [​IMG]
    Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
    Losing Dunta Robinson is not a big blow because they can replace him here with one of the best corners in the draft. Wilson made himself some money at the Senior Bowl with his physical, instinctive style of play. He projects as a true #1 corner at the NFL level, being able to match up on #1 receivers.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
    [​IMG]
    Taylor Mays, SS, USC
    Taylor Mays is terrible in coverage, and lacks the mentality and the instincts to probably ever rectify this. However, he is a big, physical hitter and is tailor-made (tailor-Taylor hahaha I'm funny) for Mike Zimmer's scheme.

22. New England Patriots
    [​IMG]
    Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama
    Bill Belicheck continues to get younger at linebacker with the addition of McClain to play next to Mayo for the next 8-10 years. McClain is a great fit in a 3-4 scheme and his downhill, hard hitting style is the perfect compliment to Mayo's athletic, rangy play. Belicheck could pick a rush LB here, but he knows that their bust rate is high because of the conversion and waits until round 2 where he can grab Sergio Kindle, Ricky Sapp or Jerry Hughes.

23. Green Bay Packers
    [​IMG]
    Charles Brown, OT, USC
    Charles Brown is converted TE, so you know he is athletic. He is great in pass protection, which was the Packer's main weakness at the start of 2009. Relying on Chad Clifton to protect Aaron Rodger's blindside worked well in the past, but he is getting a little long in the tooth and a move to Guard might be on the cards.

24. Philadelphia Eagles
    [​IMG]
    Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    With the addition of Brandon Spikes at MLB, Stewart Bradley can slide over to the strongside linebacker slot, to which his skill set is more suited.

25. Baltimore Ravens
    [​IMG]
    Damian Williams, WR, USC
    Relying on Derrick Mason as the only reliable pass catching option will not end well for the Ravens. Damian Williams is an elite route runner with safe hands. He is my favorite receiver in the 2010 draft and Baltimore snag him at 25.

26. Arizona Cardinals
    [​IMG]
    Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
    Rush linebacker is a dire need for the Cardinals, as their current top three are all the wrong side of 30. Cody Brown, last years round 2 pick, didn't play a snap because of a wrist injury. Brown and Hughes both show the fluidity to transition to the 3-4, and can both rush the passer. With two good OLBs, the future looks bright for Arizona.

27. Dallas Cowboys
    [​IMG]
    Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    Whilst receiver isn't the greatest need the Cowboys have, Golden Tate helps in numerous ways. First, he serves as an upgrade over Crayton in the slot. Tate is excellent with the ball in his hands and will quickly become one of Romo's favorite targets. Secondly, he can return kickoffs, a role in which Felix Jones looked hesitant all 2009. And thirdly, he can replace Crayton on punt returns, who is reliable, but lacks the game-breaking explosiveness that Tate possesses. A luxury pick, yes, but a helpful one.

28. San Diego Chargers
    [​IMG]
    CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
    Whilst Ryan Matthews is probably a better fit for San Diego's offense, getting CJ Spiller at 28 is a massive bargain and I doubt they would pass up the chance. CJ Spiller and Darren Sproles gives the Chargers two explosive threats out of the backfield who can score on any down and distance. CJ Spiller is good in pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield, which is what is important in the San Diego offense.

29. New York Jets
    [​IMG]
    Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
    Finding someone to apply consistent pressure on the Quarterback without blitzing is the Jet's number 1 need this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised if they went OLB-OLB in the first two rounds to ensure they get someone who can rush effectively.

30. Minnesota Vikings
    [​IMG]
    Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
    The Vikings are a piece or two away from totally dominating. They felt the loss of Matt Birk in 2009 as Adrian Peterson failed to find inside running room. Adding Iupati to McKinnie, Hutchinson and Loadholt gives four amazing run blockers up front. You have the best running back in the NFL. Help him out.

31. Indianapolis Colts
    [​IMG]
    Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
    Bringing in Fili Moala in last years draft was a start to solving the Colt's problems against the run. Here, they take another massive step forward with Jared Odrick. He has the skill set that fits the Colts' defensive scheme, but with an extra 20 pounds of bulk that the others lack.

32. New Orleans Saints
    [​IMG]
    Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    Charles Grant is getting on in years, and the Saints bring in an explosive pass rusher to replace him. Greg Williams knows that defense starts up front, and with Will Smith, Everson Griffen and Sedrick Ellis, the Saints can get pressure from all across the board.

2. ketbuckfan

ketbuckfan Tressel owns Michigan

Man I hope you're wrong about the Bengals drafting Taylor Mays.

3. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Nice mock! Just a couple things i have a opinion on, even with Mccoy on the board i dont think they pass on bryant at 10. I think Mcclains floor is 19.

4. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Tate isnt a returner. He can, but we had Allen returning kicks in 2008 and Ridrod returning kicks last year

5. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

Tate didn't. But he's great with the ball in his hands after the catch. I see no reason why he shouldn't do it in the pros, to maximize the touches he gets. When you have explosive players, you get them the ball any way you can. He will probably go back for punt/kickoffs when they need a big one or are in a big game.

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

i think we are going Def as usual our only Off pic in a very long time was Felix Jones..........

and i think the falcons need more help on OL or DL than WR

7. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I do love Tate, and would mind the pick at all, and its also the worst kept secret in the draft that we will be looking for a speed WR that can return kicks somewhere in the draft. On KO's we would be more likley to use Austin for a big return than Tate. People forget he was a very good KR

Im just thinking its more likley to be a McCluster or a Ford in the 2nd or third

8. Omen

Mcluster in the second or third would be great

do you think he would last that long

9. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

I don't think the Chiefs are going tackle with the #5 pick anymore. Now that they've signed Wiegman and Lilja I think they'll draft offensive line later in the draft and will focus on defense early. That likely means either Eric Berry or Rolando McClain for the Chiefs at #5.

10. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

I refuse to put him in the top 20.

Wiegmann and Lilja are decent players, but the line was terrible the last few years. They (Weig and Lilja) both came cheap. The line next year might be:
    From the left:
    Bulaga, Waters, Weigmann, Lilja, Albert. RT could use an upgrade too, don't forget.

11. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

I totally agree although O'Callaghan was serviceable. I'm just worried sick about the defensive side of the ball. We done next to nothing in free agency to address the defense and the moves have focused on the offensive side of the ball. That's what makes me think they'll go defense early in the draft.

12. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

While I agree with you there, Pioli drafts positional value and a very promising LT is more valuable than a FS.

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Earl Thomas 4tw, as much as that is the pick we all want and need, I don't know if the Steelers are feeling the same way.

14. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

they just brought thomas in for a visit...it would be foolish to pass on him if hes there, he could play corner from day one

15. Crowned

Oh I never seen where they brought him in for a visit, that's a monster.

16. K Train

ohhhh yeahhhhh

17. Crowned

18. JASON4RMLA

JASON4RMLA Go Kings!!

The Raiders
    C.J. Spiller
    Taylor Mays
    Mike Iupati
    Ndamukong Suh
    Sean Weatherspoon
    Bruce Campbell
    Trent Williams

These are the only players Al Davis is rumored to be "Seriously" looking at drafting in the first Round. Pick your poison..

19. K Train

trent williams was almost as impressive as campbell at the combine....but campbell is way more cut up

spiller would be an idiotic pick, so thats why hes on the list im sure

20. Omen

ma i hope none of you get Earl T and leave there for the picking