Manny Ramirez Works Out With Rays

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by suedon70, Feb 18, 2011.

1. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

Manny Ramirez is ahead of schedule in his bid to re-establish himself as one of baseball's most fearsome sluggers.

The 12-time All-Star worked out with the Tampa Bay Rays for the first time Thursday, arriving at spring training with a "chip on my shoulder" and motivated to prove he's still a productive player.

Ramirez agreed to a $2 million, one-year contract, joining Johnny Damon as the biggest offseason acquisitions by the AL East champions.

Source: Associated Press/ESPN.com

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

He's worth the $2MM even if he's a bust he and Damon will put asses in the seats for the Rays.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

a terrific team hasn't put asses in the seats but two over the hill players will ?

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Yeah, can't hurt attendance right?

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

true, guess i'm still a little taken back by how the tampa fans just don't support that team. i know it's not all of you though.

6. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

You're right - it's ridiculous that they were 9th in AL attendance last year during the run to the AL East crown. I wanted to go to more games than I did but I plan to go to at least 8 games this season (bought a 8-game fan pack today as a matter of fact), and probably more. It's time for Rays fans to start supporting this team before Stu moves them someplace else.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

i know part of the issue is the amount of relocated people living in the area but damn.

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Last time I'm going to say this.

1. Tampa Bay area has the 4th worse economy per capita IN THE COUNTRY.
    2. 48% of all home owners in this area are upside down on their mortgages.
    3. Move the team across the bay to Tampa and you add about 1 million people to a 30 mile radius of the stadium to draw from.

9. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Now back to Manny, I never could stand him but I think that had more to do with the name on the front of the jersey rather then the back. These he's good guy once you get to know them though the media.

Hope he doesn't make me eat those words.

10. Franchise 5

Franchise 5 Rookie

Hopefully Manny has a good year, that could improve the attendance by a little.

11. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Word is he actually came off the boat this spring training in great shape for a change too. Maybe he's starting to realize at his age god given talent starts to fade and hard work is required.

12. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Yep, he said he hasn't been this great of shape since he was 22 years old. How great would it be if the Rays whipped the Yanks and the Sox again this year after giving both teams some of our corner stones?

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Just sucks that they are in that market...

14. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

And another Tampa hater.......:tsk:

15. Franchise 5

Franchise 5 Rookie

Yeah, we don't need that here. GTFO! :)

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah well, the stadium location is a bullcrap excuse IMO - tropicana field is not the only sports stadium that isn't exactly ideally located for it's fanbase.

the economic issues i'd be interested in looking at further. got a link to that info ? where does detroit rank with all of that ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  17. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

What part of #3 did you not understand? If you want to verify my economic facts there something on the web called google.

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

i understood #3 perfectly, you just ignored my counter for some reason. like i said, its not the only sports stadium located in a less then conveniant area. there are several others and the fans still get there. christ florida is getting flooded right now by fans going to see spring training games from other states. its a bullcrap excuse IMO.

and i did google the economy stats you tossed out and found nothing to back your statement. it's your claim, you put it out there, you prove it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011