Meachem Set To Prove His Critics Wrong

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Saintsfan1972, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

A pessimist would label Saints receiver Robert Meachem a bust, seeing as how he didn't even catch a pass during his rookie season.

The optimist is looking forward to getting a boost from Meachem and whoever the Saints select with the 10th pick next month.

Whatever your perspective, you've got to admire the way Meachem reacted to his disappointing first year in the NFL.

The soft-spoken 23-year-old is determined to prove himself to coaches and teammates, friends and family, and even all those optimists and pessimists in the Saints' fan base.

"It's very motivational to hear somebody say, 'Oh, well, he was a bust,' " said Meachem, who was slowed by a knee injury throughout training camp and into the first month of last season. "So (you want) to prove everybody wrong and just let everybody know you weren't a bust, and you're going to do what you're supposed to do."

Even more impressive is what Meachem did shortly after last season ended. He sought out the help of veteran receiver David Patten, who has earned a reputation as one of the hardest-working professionals in the league.

Patten has also bounced back from at least two knee injuries in his career.

"I approached him, because I wanted to know what he did," Meachem said. "When you watch him, he looks quick as a cat at times. So, I'm sitting there thinking he had to do something that I'm not doing in order to get his leg back stronger. What's better than to work out with a guy like that that's going to push you? Because if I do good, he looks good, right? That's how I look at it."

Patten said he has been impressed by his young project. He said Meachem has high character, a great work ethic, and he never used the knee injury as an excuse last year.

"He just says, 'Hey, I'm not getting it done,' " Patten said.

Full Article

2. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

It was a dumb pick that had me in shock last year IMO, but to suggest he is a bust is ludicrous. Could turn out to be a great pick in the long run who knows?