Mike Shanahan Names Redskins QB Robert Griffin III The Starter

Discussion in 'Washington Redskins' started by Sweets, May 6, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

At the conclusion of the Washington Redskins' rookie mini-camp, head coach Mike Shanahan confirmed that No. 2 overall pick Robert Griffin would be the team's starting quarterback, Mike Jones of The Washington Post reports. Given the freight the Redskins paid to move up to the No. 2 overall pick -- first round picks in 2012, 2013 and 2014 along with a 2012 second round pick -- and the fully guaranteed $21 million contract he will eventually sign, naming Griffin the starter is not unexpected. "Any time you pick a player with the second pick of the draft and you give up another two No. 1’s and No. 2 and you move up four spots, you’ve got a game plan in mind," Shanahan said. "We’re going to adjust our system to what he feels comfortable with, and we’ll watch him grow, and we’ll do what we feel like he does the best. "We’re going to put him with the first team when we come back," Shanahan said of the OTAs, which get underway on May 21. "We’ll have our first team on one field, working against our second defense, and we’ll have our second team on the other field, working against our first defense. "I thought it very important to start with Robert with our first unit. He’s able to do it and pick up the system as quick as he has, which is always good, to go out there and be able to call plays and feel good with what you’re doing, and I’ve seen that over the last five practices."

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

fall on your face and become jamarcus russell asap

this would please me greatly.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i don't think it's going to happen in this case because RG3 seems to show desire to get better and win..............

plus, these rookies don't get $50 mill + contracts until they actually do something in the league .................. which is the best thing that has happened to this league in a long time

4. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

sadly i know that you're right. i dont hate the kid, despite his uniform. just dont like seeing a potential great QB suit up for my teams biggest rival. as a fan of the game, seeing him develop and turn into prehaps a great QB will be pretty enjoying, just not at the sake of my own team

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I think the Skins losing that cap money is gonna make a tough go early for Griffen. Really hurt there ability to surround him with talent. Probobly meant no Nicks and Garcon instead of Vincent Jackson

6. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Nicks isn't a free agent? Did you mean Manningham?

7. Jihad Joe

Carl Nicks

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

8. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

I'm an idiot.

9. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I hope this dude ends up successful but it's going to be REALLY had given where he is playing. He's going to have to survive for a year or 3 and not get killed by the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys.

10. Jihad Joe

Qft

11. Jihad Joe

If they can keep Trent Williams healthy and sober, that would help. However he is one slip from a year ban, and if that happens there goes his protection from JPP, Ware and Cole

12. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

This is so true. The NFC East is a completely unfair division complete with dudes who can potentially destroy everyone. If everyone is healthy this year it's entirely possible that you could see 3 teams from the NFC East in the playoffs. Or as most like to call it, the NFC BEAST! But either way, RG3 needs to hold on and stay healthy for a couple of seasons. WAY too much potential for destruction. We'll see what happens. It'll be fun either way!

13. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

As much as I hate our rivals i digg it when the NFC E dominates

RG III is good and wil proba Lu be good but it's gonna be a hard road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jihad Joe

They got royally hecked with the cap penalty. No doubt in my mind Vincent Jackson and Carl Nicks are Redskins if they didn't lose that 30 million. That helps make up the talent they are losing with the pics. No way they make that deal to move up if they knew they were losing 30 million in cap space IMO

15. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

no surprises here. he had to name Griffin the starter. You just drafted him second overall

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

so i guess rg1 is the back-up now.

this kid better be able to take a hit - or 20.

17. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

dont worry hes got your boy leonard hankerson lol

18. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

[​IMG]

19. Jihad Joe

I hope he turns into an epic Leaf level bust. I really don't want a dominant RG3 in this division