New Feature Installed: Advanced @User Tagging

Discussion in 'GridironFans Support' started by SRW, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The @user Tagging mod is designed to increase activity on your forum by allowing members to mention each other in posts when talking about them.

This is done in a very easy way, very similar to how Twitter mentions people. We use @ as the tag, so for instance you could say:
    ----
    This new mod installed by @SteveRobWhatever is pretty cool.
    ----
    The “@SteveRobWhatever” will become a link to the GridironFans.com users profile, it will also inform the member they had been mentioned, and link to the relevant thread/post via a new area in the profile section.

It also allows members to “tag” the thread for specific other members by inputting their usernames in the tag box above the posts of the thread.

This is a great way to increase forum activity with no extra admin input required – people will start to mention posts/threads to their friends, which will increase the amount of posting.

Complete Feature List
    • Front-End
      • @username in a post to "mention" a user
        • Changes @username to a link to that user's profile
        • Sends a forum notification to that user
      • Quote a post to alert a user
        • Sends a forum notification to that user
      • Invite a user to a thread
        • List of invited users above the thread action toolbar
          • Link to view full list of invited users
        • "Click Here To Invite" button expands a text field for adding a new user to tag
        • Cfreaking of invited users to prevent getting multiple invitations
        • Ability to invite all your friends by cfreaking a checkbox instead of typing out usernames
      • New tab in an user's profile showing a list of their invitations
        • Lists both incoming and outgoing invitations

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Interesting. I'm curious to see how this will work out.

A question, is there any way to turn your notifications on or off? I don't need to know every time someone quotes me.

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

So one time is too many huh Axion?

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Mean. :tsk:

5. SRW

I have re-enabled this modification after a recent update by the author. Hopefully we don't experience the site performance issues we had in the past with this.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

I had the same question...

7. SRW

Wouldn't you want to at least see why another member quoted you?

8. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I only quote so peeps know I'm responding to them. I guess it would make the @ pointless to me then.

9. SRW

So you have no use for it if you post something and want others to check it out?

10. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Nice feature

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I like this feature a lot. Great addition.

12. SRW

themush asked if auto-filling the usernames is possible in this modification when sending invites to threads. While it is possible, it's a custom job and well....read on, this is from Carlito who is our custom coder:

So it looks like this is not going to happen. Hell, it's not even in the budget for one and and if it was it sounds like it could hurt the site's performance.

13. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Damn, well thanks for cfreaking.