New Jersey Devils Ilya Kovalchuk Announces He Will Retire

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

New Jersey Devils superstar winger Ilya Kovalchuk has decided to walk away from the final 12 years and $77 million remaining on his contract, choosing instead to retire from the NHL, the team announced Thursday.

"This goes back to the lockout, and prior to coming back, his thought process of staying in Russia was there," Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said in a conference call Thursday. "As you know, he was here a little late [getting back after the lockout was lifted]. Then there was no conversation whatsoever throughout the year about it. Then it resurfaced and his desire was to retire from the NHL, and the only way he could do that was to sign his voluntary retirement papers, which he did."

According to multiple Russian media outlets, Kovalchuk will play for SKA St. Petersburg in the Kontinental Hockey League next season.

"This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia," Kovalchuk said in a statement released by the team. "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me."

Source: ESPN New York

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  2. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Kind of saw this coming. Hard to walk away from 77 mill, but reports are he'll get around 30 mill a year in Russia

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

:shocker: