NFL Fact Or Fiction: Return Of The Dead Edition

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by SRW, Oct 4, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Watch out, NFL Fact or Fiction has risen from the dead! This week we welcome two new writers and we discuss: Ndamukong Suh, Matt Schaub, Greg Schiano's future, the top pick in the 2014 NFL Draft and Super Bowl XLVIII.

[​IMG]

After a couple weeks off, the NFL Fact or Fiction column is back! I'm SteveRobWhatever, owner of GridironFans.com and I'll be hosting this featured article from here on out. It got off to a rocky start but I am making a commitment to the co-writers and to the site to bring this article to you each week. Hopefully I don't make myself out to be the laughing stock of the NFL Writer's Block section and hopefully we can get some good discussions going with our weekly entry.

I'm not going to go out and re-invent the wheel here. I am of the opinion that all you need is to give talent is an avenue to let them showcase themselves and let them have at it. I'll be giving a statement to Omen and RichLikeWh0a and they will give us their take. Of course I hope the readers get involved and put up their own thoughts on the Fact or Fiction questions. We want your opinions, so feel free to share 'em people.

With that said, let's talk some football! Week 4 in the NFL was a crazy week. We are now at the quarter point in the season and are starting to get a feel for what teams are. There are some interesting storylines coming out of last week that are begging people's opinions. So without further delay, let's get to some fact or fiction, what do you say?

NFL Fact or Fiction: Return Of The Dead Edition

[​IMG]

1. Ndamukong Suh might be the NFL's dirtiest player, but he's also this year's early favorite for NFL Defensive Player of the year.

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction Look, it really doesn't matter how good Suh does or doesn't play. People believe him to be dirty, and that's something that they won't forgive in voting for any kind of accolade. It really doesn't come down to whether he deserves it or isn't, he isn't and won't be a favorite.

Omen: Fact Suh is the dirtiest player in the NFL and quite possibly in the game's history. Yet I think its a type dirty nasty we need to see more of on more teams. Teams need an identity on both sides of the ball and Suh is type of player one needs on defense. I don't really think he means to play dirty but gets caught up in moment.

[​IMG]

2. Matt Schaub's recent funk is temporary. He'll be back on track and make the Texans the team to challenge the Broncos for AFC supremacy when it's all said and done.

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction Schaub really hasn't ever been that good in my personal opinion. Acceptable, but not good. And even if Schaub comes out of this funk better than he's ever been, I don't think the Texans are the team with the closest chance of knocking the Broncos out of the playoffs.

But what a rod you are for using Tony Romo as an example when your cohorts are both Cowboys fans.

Omen: Fiction I think he suffering from Tony Romo syndrome but on much grander scale. He was the savior they so dreamed of when they traded for him only to be let down. I think the fans are fed up, they were holding a Texas size bonfire at Reliant Stadium using Schuab jerseys as kindling.

[​IMG]

3. The Buccaneers should keep Greg Schiano as head coach beyond this year. He deserves another year to turn this franchise around.
    * please note this question was sent out before Freeman's release

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction Greg Schiano shouldn't be the coach for another minute, let alone another season. This guy is proving to be the biggest clown in the NFL. There's no reason for there to even be RUMORS floating around of you rigging this or that if you're a NFL head coach. No one on that team is buying the crap he is selling and Tampa needs to move on. Again.

Omen: Fact Schiano should have a shot to win with his QB because as we can see Josh Freeman ain't "his" guy. As the Tuna once proclaimed "If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries." So in my honest opinion, I think he stays at least one more year. You'll never face success with a revolving door of coaches.

[​IMG]

4. JaDavon Clowney isn't the top pick in next year's draft anymore. Terry Bridgewater is the guy teams will be gunning for with the top pick.

RichLikeWh0a: Neutral I don't know that it is either of them at this point. Clowney is still one of the top 5 guaranteed, barring injury or some kind of serious off the field issue. Offenses are doing everything they can to take the guy out of the game and he's kind of a victim of his own hype this season, but I also don't see that hype going away by the draft regardless. Bridgewater is kind of dependent on who gets the #1 overall. At this point, it could be the Steelers for all we know, so he won't be their pick unless they trade it, obviously.

Omen: Fact Everybody loves to say that defenses win you championships and that may be true ask, Eli Manning, Trent Dilfer. But that's only in certain cases. There is not another more polarizing position in the NFL than at quarterback. Clowney has not helped his stock this season either with a mediocre season so far plus he's having surgery at the end of the year. All Bridgewater has to do is keep playing his regular game.

[​IMG]

5. Super Bowl XLVIII. Broncos vs Saints, this time an epic QB rematch for the ages. Could be NFL MVP vs NFL Offensive Player of the year. That's the matchup we are seeing come Feb. 2nd. Book it!

RichLikeWh0a: Fiction I really try to avoid Super Bowl predictions this early in the season because it's too easy to make yourself look silly. That being said, I'm fairly confident it won't be Brees vs Manning 2.0. I, in fact, have a feeling the NFC is going to send an underdog to the Super Bowl this year. I don't know who, I just know my gut tells me that none of the favorites at this point of the season will be representing the NFC.

Omen: Fiction I can't see the Saints surpassing the Seahawks at CenturyLink Field because theY will have home field. The Saints need a better receiving corp than what they have now to battle those brutes the Seahawks call cornerbacks. As far as Denver goes I think they'll make it to the big game. I don't see a team in the AFC built to challenge them at the moment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kwXNVCaxY]That's All Folks! (Best one on YouTube) - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks again to RichLikeWh0a and Omen for their takes this week. If you enjoyed what you read in our article, please give us a like, comment below, share the article on Facebook or Twitter, tell a friend....you get the idea. Let us know you are out there, keep us motivated to bring you more. Also, if you haven't checked them out yet, catch up on the most recent entries from our NFL Writer's Block:

You can also subscribe to your favorite columns here on the site by clicking on the RSS icons on the site's header or footer. Or, if that's too much effort, I can post the links here:

NFL Power Rankings by @TJ & @Fez: RSS
    NFL Weekend Primer by @Steve12: RSS
    NFL's Winners & Losers by @Two Girls One Kaep: RSS

Also, we are interested in adding a 'Mailbag' feature in this article where members send in questions you'd like our panel to dissect and give their takes on next week. Anyone who'd like to send in a question can PM me on the site. Just make sure to get them in before Tuesday night when I send out the topics to the writers. So what NFL questions do you have for the NFL writers? Let's have 'em!

I look forward to working on this feature each week and hope the site enjoys what we bring to the table. See you all next week (I swear, NO MORE WEEKS OFF!). I leave you with the classic NFL moment of the week, enjoy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunyz0WWLSI]The Catch - YouTube[/ame]

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Thank you for taking the bull by the horns, [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION].

Very good on everybody's part with a little brain fart in there with Omen thinking Schiano should stay (REGARDLESS of the Freeman situation). The guy was and is a rod, terrible NFL coach and it's apparent he lost his own team well before pointing the gun at Freeman. I think the Yiddish word is putz. Regardless....entertaining, fellas!

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Good stuff, guys, tho you can't expect us to fall for Omen's take, do you?

Hiss gramur is specticular or did you hire a ghost writer?

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

1. Ndamukong Suh is the NFL's dirtiest player that doesn't go under the radar for the stuff he does. There are players in the league just as dirty as Suh is like Dashon Goldson and Bernard Pollard just to name a few.

2. All I got to say about Matt Schaub is that this is a put up or shut up year in Houston for him. He's been in Houston since 2007 and hasn't taken that team to the next level.

3. I'm a firm believer that a head coach should get atleast 3 years with a team. Whether Schiano gets a third year, who knows.

4. As of right now, my Super Bowl matchup is Seahawks vs. Broncos. Peyton Manning playing like a man on a mission right now and I don't see who will deny him. IF the Seahawks get home field advantage through out the NFC playoffs, good luck to whatever team has to go to Seattle in the playoffs, they're going to need it.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

AWESOME !!

Good work [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION], [MENTION=968]RichLikeWh0a[/MENTION] and @omen!!! Looking forward to the next one...

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I have a editor/ proof reader named mrs. Omen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Good job all. very interesting.

agree with Rich on all 5 questions.

8. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

ya agree with me 2/5ths of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

and, actually, it's probably more like 3/5 because even though i agree with rich's 'neutral' response to the top pick question, it was somewhat of a cop-out. If i had to choose right now which one is MORE likely to go #1, it would be Teddy for the reasons you pointed out so astutely.

10. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

It was a cop out answer, but I didn't see it as a black and white question. I certainly agree that if it's cut and dry one of those two, yeah, it isn't Clowney. But it's too early to say in general.

As far agreeing with me..well, when you're right, you're right.