NFL May Move to a 42-Yard Extra Point Attempt

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Kurt, Mar 5, 2014.

?

Should they make the extra point harder?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Smeags sleeps with a teddy bear.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kurt

Kurt That Server Guy Staff Member Fantasy Guru

Some early polls have been taken to show what fans think immediately after hearing about this change. According to ESPN’s popular show SportsNation, over 16,000 people have already provided their opinion of this. At this time, 53% have said that this is a good idea, while 47% have said that it is not. They also asked the question of what the best option for a PAT is. 9% of fans voted for an automatic PAT, where the scoring team would just be awarded 7 points. 43% believed that the rule should be left as is, while 48% wanted the length of the attempt to increase.

http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/nfl-contemplating-moving-42-yard-extra-point-attempt/

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I like making it more difficult than eliminating it all together...

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I still like the idea of making the scorer of the TD kick the PAT. Kind of like a free throw in basketball.

4. Kurt

Now thats an idea!!

5. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

All for it being made harder. A little bit more thrill in it

6. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

STOP CHANGING THE DAMN GAME

Sorry I think I have voiced this previously but I can't stand some of these changes. If they change something for Safety reasons we shut up and accept it, but common. If they make this change why not change the 2pt play to a 55 yarder?

This is pissing me off. I can't stand it

7. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

It'd be funny as hell for someone to do a fake PAT from the 25 yard line as opposed to a regular 2pt conversion from the 2 yard line

LebaneseFF and Kurt like this.
  8. Kurt

you win.. they won't change it for this reason alone.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Chinese Field Goal.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Im all for changing it in some way. Its a pointless (pardon the pun) play. It has so little effect on the outcome and strategy of the game that Im surprised its lasted this long, to be honest.

If the kickers are worried about getting their time taken away, make it all about the kicker, and make it more difficult. Hell, even take everyone else off the field, just a snapper and a kicker, no random Gronk broken arm injuries that way. Only they have to like drop kick it off a bounce from the 40.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Rather, the 30, 40 is way too long.

12. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Leave it as is, but if the extra point is missed/blocked the other team is awarded points.

13. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

NO! This is a horrible idea.

markaz likes this.
  14. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Surprised you're the only one to opine. I completely agree with you. In reality I'm in the Joe Gibbs camp that wants to completely get rid of the PAT kick and only have 2-point conversions via the run or pass. Gibbs is on record as believing the extra point kick is a one man show, whereas the 2-point conversion is a team effort. With this I agree. The solution in my previous post makes as much sense as what we've got now. But deciding on the new optimal yardage for the PAT is arbitrary at best.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    DawkinsINT and DaBearsrule4ever like this.
  15. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

If they want to make it harder,then kick it from the sideline!!

16. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

something needs to change. the pat is boring and basically a sure thing. kick it from farther away or mandate a 2 point try.

17. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I just think that if it's not broke, which it's not, than don't fix it. Whatever happens is what it is though.

18. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Think the cheerleaders should kick it.

It'd also force the Bears to bring back the Honey Bears...

DaBearsrule4ever likes this.
  19. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It is broke. The extra point attempt is boring as hell and pretty much an automatic.

I don't give a crap about kickers and would love an automatic 2 point attempt after all TDs.