"NFL Most Hated Fans!" Sports Illustrated Singles Out...

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by 86WARD, Jul 25, 2015.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

It’s a potent combination: intense passion plus relentless disappointment. That is what has shaped Philadelphia Eagles fans over the past 55 years.

Those fans were dubbed the “most hated” in the NFL by SI.com this week. That wasn’t all that surprising. And in a way, it’s almost a compliment. According to the SI piece, the “most hated” coach (Bill Belichick) and franchise (the New England Patriots) also happen to be the NFL’s most successful of this century.

If Eagles fans have distinguished themselves by annoying and offending opponents and their fans, then that is hardly an insult. It seems a little tired for SI’s Doug Farrar to open with a retelling of the 1968 incident in which Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.

But Farrar does get most of the story right. The Santa Claus in question, Frank Olivo, was a 19-year-old fan. He was asked to fill in when the original Santa Claus hired for the Eagles’ halftime show did not show up. Olivo was not a convincing Santa, but most of the fans’ ire was directed at a team that was effective on the field as it was at staging halftime entertainment.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/172414/most-hated-fans-si-singles-out-eagles-fans

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Of course they mentioned the Santa Claus incident. Even if he did tell the whole story....it was 47 f--king years ago. I'm so sick of it.

ICECOLD likes this.
  3. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's like so old...like a 47-Year Old Joke...

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

As a Saints fan, I hear ya.

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I'll have to read the SI article and see what the assclown author used as his criteria. Just guessing his dad went to Veterans for a game eons ago wearing a Giants jersey and got harassed in the parking lot. Would love for all Philly fans to cancel their SI subscriptions.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

media ratings 101 - write a negative story about philly and watch it get more attention than a story about ray rice beating his wife.

86WARD likes this.
  7. Buck Fenson

Personally, I would wear that badge with honor.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

All you basically need for the article are three things:

1. They threw snowballs at Santa Claus.
    2. They cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt.
    3. They had a jail in Veterans Stadium.

Sprinkle in a couple adjectives, nouns, prepositions and boom!! That's it...there's your article. If you want to put a "positive" spin on the article and maybe a backhanded compliment, throw the word "passion" in there a lot.

DawkinsINT likes this.
  9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Eagles Fans > Jets Fans

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

california fans stab & kill people.

but omg the philly fans cursed at an opposing fan one day in 1984. oh the horror !!!!!

11. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

giants fans and pats fans always get my goat!

12. Buck Fenson

I would get better security.

Jihad Joe and Diesel44 like this.
  13. smeags

smeags militant geek

haaaaa ^^^^

ICECOLD likes this.
  14. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i can't hate a team that wants the pope to bless their qbs knees.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

1. Why are we surprised that the Eagles fans are the NFL's most hated fans?

2. The Eagles fans asking the Pope to bless Sam Bradford's knees? A desperate move by a desperate team, IMO.

17. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Its their fans not the organization lol

And Im sure its in jest

18. smeags

smeags militant geek

1. nobody is surprised and none of us care.

2. wtf ?

19. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

SI is a joke now. Look at the hack piece they did to Oklahoma State University Football. The only sources used were people who had a grudge with the team and would say anything the writer wanted. Some of the other people's words were so distorted it wasn't even a quote from that person anymore. And on top of all of that, the contributing writer, who did all the research, hates Oklahoma State and is a diehard University of Oklahoma fan. He wrote a blog for Fox Sports and was fired because he was only writing insulting things about OSU. SI doesn't care about stories that are right, or even interesting, they are becoming a libelous tabloid.

20. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

SI has been a joke for years.that fat vastard peter king makes me sick the way he kisses wellington mara and robert kraft's fat pompous asses. i hink every day that goes by,people hate the pats and that whining ass crybaby tom brady more and more. f--k him and the horse he rode in on!
    [​IMG]