NFL Suspends Saints LB Jonathan Vilma For 2012 Season

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Sweets, May 2, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The National Football League has announced that New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma has been suspended for the duration of the 2012 season for his involvement in the Saints' illegal bounty program. Vilma's suspension begins immediately. According to official release from the NFL, their investigation found that Vilma assisted former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in "establishing and funding" the program. Vilma offered $10,000 cash to any player that knocked Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner out of their 2009 Divisional Playoff Game and offered the same amount to any player that knocked Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC Championship Game. Vilma is eligible to apply for reinstatement following the 2013 Super Bowl. After a contract restructure last month, Vilma is scheduled to earn $1.6 million base salary, a $600,000 roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus in 2012.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. smeags

smeags militant geek

wow, the whole season ?

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Will Smith (NO - 4 games), Fujita (now with CLE - 3 games), and Hargrove (now with GB - 8 games) all suspended as well.

4. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

obviously his involvement went a lot deeper than everyone assumed.....the Curtis Lofton and David Hawthorne signings are looking even sweeter right about now

i'm just glad the suspensions FINALLY came down so we can get to work

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Somehow I missed this info before...
    Screw him. Deserves the whole year suspension.

6. Saintsfan1972

the $10,000 on Favre was known about.....the bounty on Warner is fresh news, i agree....he deserved what he got

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

damn threw the book at him.

i dont mind bounties personally lol

8. Saintsfan1972

lol...wow

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

dkaplanSBJ

To recap: Saints don't have top LB, HC for yr; QB unsigned; key DE out for 4 games, interim HC for 6 games, GM for 8 games; even owner's granddaugher, owner in waiting, is out.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Hargrove could pretty much be suspended for the year. Why would the Packers keep him if he's not gonna be around until half way through the season. Maybe someone adds him after...

11. lambertjr

lambertjr FNG

So the league releases a press statement without personally informing the players of their punishment?

I figure godell had to get his jollies one more time.

Now I wonder if there is a reporter or news agency out there who has the stones to call this guy on the carpet and find out why it took him over 2 years to take action?

12. buffalobillsfan1

buffalobillsfan1 2nd String

Goodell did inform players through their agents. Vilma's agent did not tell him in time before it hit ESPN.

13. Saintsfan1972

14. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

So exactly whose side is the NFLPA on? The players (who were trying to injure other players) or the players (the injured)?

I don't like Goodell, but I'm certain he isn't dumb enough to hand out these punishments without proof.

15. Saintsfan1972

this is what bothers me.....if he has 50,000 pages of "evidence" on 20 something players just release it. personally, if it's released and is legit i'd shut the heck up about it and move on

16. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

[​IMG]

wow at a year

17. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Seems to me that the Saints are slowly falling apart.

18. The Sith

The Sith 1st Stringer

Good, he's gettin exactly what he deserve.

19. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

geez, a whole year? seems rather drastic.

and i heard some other players got pretty significant suspensions.

20. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

OT: Sith that's one badass sig bro!!