NFL Weekend Primer - Week 5

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by Steve12, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Today is my 2nd wedding anniversary, so I'm trying to squeeze this in this morning while my wife is still sleeping. Hopefully you guys enjoy it.

[​IMG]

Patriots vs. Bengals

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-previews/0ap2000000254986/Preview-New-England-Patriots-vs-Cincinnati-Bengals]Preview: New England Patriots vs. Cincinnati Bengals - NFL Videos[/ame]

The Patriots are 4-0 this year, but it's far from the most impressive 4-0 in the league. The offense has looked awful at times, especially against the Jets early in the season. I was actually surprised when I saw they were the 11th best offense in the league. I'm hoping that they get better and better as the season goes on. Gronk should be coming back fairly soon, and I'm sure that makes a lot of Pats fans giddy. But I'm not expecting him to stay on the field very long, so if he does it will be a welcome surprise. The development of a ground and pound running game is a good sight to see, especially if we have to play the Broncos in the playoffs. As a Patriots fan this game interests me a lot because I thought the Bengals would be really good this year. I think I picked them to win like 12 games, and I put money on them to win the Super Bowl(they had great odds:oops:). They haven't looked good enough to reach either one of those, though. Questions still surround Dalton's ability to lead a team all the way. I was counting on him to answer those this year, but it hasn't happened yet. The defense is ranked 13th, which is lower than I would have expected. I think the Pats win this game, but covering AJ Green will be a problem.

Patriots - 24
    Bengals - 17

Saints vs Bears

For some reason NFL.com doesn't have a preview video for this game, so enjoy this fantastic weather update for the game. Because everyone gives a crap.

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/0ap2000000255159/Weather-update-Saints-Bears]Weather update: Saints @ Bears. - NFL Videos[/ame]

Living an hour from Chicago makes it tough to not follow the Bears. I listen to Chicago sports radio on the way to work, on breaks at work, and on the way from work. So this game definitely has my attention this weekend. The Bears are coming off a really bad loss to the Lions, where their defense was raped by Reggie Bush early, and the offense couldn't keep up the rest of the way. They scored some at the end to make it closer than it probably was. So they come in to this week with a point to prove, and facing what is probably the best offense in the NFC, and the second best overall team in the NFC. I think we will learn a lot about what the Bears really are this weekend. This is a true test of that defense(ranked 21st), as well as the offense. So much was said about the offensive head coach this offseason, well here's his chance to prove he can hang with the big boys. And there's no bigger boys on offense than Sean Payton and Drew Brees. I think the Bears are a playoff team, but I don't think they can handle the Saints. Especially with how good the Saints defense has been so far. New Orleans has looked great this year, and the Bears haven't shown enough to me to make me think they can win this game. Even at home.

Saints - 38
    Bears - 28

Broncos vs. Cowboys

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/0ap2000000255527/Playbook-Broncos-vs-Cowboys]'Playbook': Denver Broncos vs. Dallas Cowboys - NFL Videos[/ame]

Honestly, I just like seeing the Cowboys lose. :fu09:

2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Happy Anniversary Steve! Enjoy your day. Good stuff here as usual. I'm actually pulling for the boys for once this Sunday

3. Steve12

Thanks man I appreciate it.

I just stuck to the teams I know the most about. Didn't have much time to look into any other games.

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Happy Anniversary, big guy! Anything special to celebrate today or this evening? Just a bit of trivia: The second anniversary is also known as the Cotton Anniversary and traditionally gifts to each other are made of same. Get her a clothing item, rug or something else made of cotton and she'll either think you're the most caring and considerate hubby around or that you're a rod.

Nice write-up, again. I agree with you that I just cannot pull for the Cowboys. I especially want them to lose tomorrow and the G-Men win so that the Giants will be 1-4 and only one game out of first. :rollinglaugh:

5. Steve12

Thanks man. Nothing big planned. Going to see a movie and when to dinner. My mom is gonna watch the kid. I took the wife shopping last night and let her get whatever she wanted. She picked some Clorox wet mop thing. I was like Wtf are you serious lol. But I think the cleaning thing on it is at least part cotton so that works out.

6. markaz

Even better! Mop = cotton.....she knew.:lol:

7. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Great write up &...

Congrats, Steve :drinks:

Took my wife shopping, told her to get whatever she wanted, took me on a 5 hour trip to a stained glass store, spent well over $100 bucks while I stood outside chain smoking & scaring the shoppers who stopped in.

Wanna change wives??? At least for a week???

8. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Grats on the anniversary. Sad to say I think your prediction for the Saints/Bears game could be correct. The Bears' D really needs to step up this week.

9. Steve12

Haha. Thanks man. And I'm sure your wife is beautiful and a great gal, but imma have to pbutt. My wife probably wouldn't want to come back. Lol.

10. Steve12

Yea I want the bears to win. But the saints just seem like the better team right now.

11. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Cutler has a history of bouncing back and leading the Bears to victory the week after he has a 3 INT game. It would really be great if this week was no different. Hopefully today that the Bears settle for TDs and NOT FGs.

12. markaz

Why is everybody going so contrarian about the Bears? Sure N.O. has played well the past 2-3 weeks especially, but this is being played in Chicago and the Bears carry the same home-field advantage there as the Saints do in the 'Dome. Just way too much love for Brees and Sproles and Graham (not that they don't deserve it) on ESPN2 to the point I now hate them for no reason.

This is set up perfectly for the Bears to surprise a lot of folks and "upset" the Saints. Bears by 10.

13. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Most people I've talked to this week think the Saints are going to win this one. A few websites I've been on, the NFL experts on those sites are split right down the middle on the Bears/Saints game. IF the game was in the Superdome, I honestly do see the Bears getting blown out. What I think a lot of people have not taken into account about this game is the fact that this game if being played on a field that can indeed slow down even the Saints offense.