Nick Saban's Doubt In QB Drew Brees Led Him To The Saints

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Jul 5, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

According to Peter King of SI.com, the most enlightening thing about Drew Brees book "Coming Back Stronger", was the one final conversation he had with Nick Saban before he decided to pick the Saints over Saban's Dolphins in the spring of 2006. The Saints believed unconditionally in Brees' ability to come back from his shoulder surgery, while the Dolphins were skeptical about it. Brees had significant interest on the table from the Saints but he wanted to find out if Saban had the same faith in him that Payton and Mickey Loomis had in New Orleans. So Brees picked up the phone and called Saban, who told him the Miami team doctors believed Brees had a 25 percent chance to come back and be the same quarterback, or better, that he'd been before the shoulder surgery. Brees said to Saban: "Coach, I know what your doctors believe about me. My question is, what do you believe?'' Wrote Brees: "Nick Saban paused. That was really all I needed to hear. His pause told me everything. 'Well, Drew,' he said, 'I would still love to have you, but I have to trust what our medical people are saying ...' He went on from there, like he was reading from a script. But I was starting to tune out. By then I had all the information I needed. I had made my decision.'' Brees told Saban thanks, and he'd be going to New Orleans, even though telling Saban that might kill his negotiating position with the Saints. "The impression I get from the Dolphins was I should feel lucky they were even looking at me. It just wasn't a welcoming feeling.''

Source: Sports Illustrated

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Gehring53

Gehring53 2008 National Champs

I had no real like or dislike of Saban before joining the Dolphins, all he did was lie and set the team back another 3-4 years. This does not surprise me at all, thanks a lot you arrogant pr**k.

3. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Saban= good college coach