NLCS: Giants and Cardinals

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by markaz, Oct 12, 2014.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

The San Francisco Giants play the St. Louis Cardinals for the right to represent the National League in the 2015 World Series.

2. markaz

Bumgarner tames Cardinals, Giants take NLCS lead

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Madison Bumgarner once again put the San Francisco Giants well on the road to a playoff victory

Bumgarner pitched shutout ball into the eighth inning and the Giants combined just enough hitting with a couple of defensive flubs by St. Louis to beat the Cardinals 3-0 Saturday night in the NL Championship Series opener.

Bumgarner set a major league postseason record with 26 2-3 consecutive scoreless innings on the road.

''That's pretty cool,'' he said. ''There's stats for everything nowadays. I've happened to have a little extra good luck on the road.'' [More]

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bumgarner-tames-cardinals-giants-nlcs-lead-034225124--mlb.html

3. markaz

Too bad Bumgarner can't pitch every game. This dude reminds a little of a shorter Randy Johnson. An absolutely awesome performance against the Redturds in Game 1.

4. markaz

Cardinals Edge Giants In NLCS Game 2

ST. LOUIS -- On Sunday night, the Cardinals edged the Giants by a score of 5-4 (box score) and evened the NLCS at a game apiece. Now let's have a closer look at the typically dramatic St. Louis win ...

Hero: Cardinal power. Yes, the collective gets the hero's cape. We could highlight one of the three solo shots that the Cardinals hit on the night -- Matt Carpenter's, Oscar Taveras',Matt Adams' or Kolten Wong's -- but considering the thin margin of victory, they were all equally essential.

At this point, it bears mentioning again that during the regular season, only the Royals hit fewer homers than the Cardinals did. In the postseason, however, St. Louis has hit 11 homers in six games. Eleven in six! That, folks, is what you'd call a timely power spike, and that's why all the Cardinal power in Game 2 gets hero status. [More]

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24750324

Check out the "Leverage Index". WTF?

5. markaz

Giants Win NLCS Game 3 In Extras

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants have a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven NLCS over the Cardinals, after a dramatic 10th-inning victory. On the final play, Gregor Blanco laid down a perfect bunt to move runners to second and third with one out -- but instead, Randy Choate threw the ball into right field and Brandon Crawford was able to get home.

It was an oddball game, for sure, with a huge Giants first inning, nothing again until the 10th and the Cardinals owning innings 2-9, but losing the game. And, well, the flags were screaming for most of the game, sometimes in different directions....[More]

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24752341/giants-win-nlcs-game-3-in-extras-quick-hits

6. markaz

Giants Beat Cardinals In Game 4, Take 3-1 NLCS Lead

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants have come from behind to defeat the St. Louis Cardinals, 6-4, giving them a 3-1 lead in the best-of-seven NLCS. Let's get right to it, with more to come from the clubhouse later.

Hero: My co-heroes are Buster Posey and Yusmeiro Petit.

Posey continues his hot-hitting postseason, grabbing a pair of hits (along with a walk and sac fly) and three RBI, which came on three different plate appearances. His last hit pushed the Giants' lead to two runs with three innings left to play. Not insurmountable, obviously, but it was definitely an important insurance run.

Petit was needed to bridge the gap to the late-inning relievers after Ryan Vogelsong was shelled in three innings. Petit went out and threw three scoreless innings, allowing only one hit and one walk. He's now thrown nine scoreless innings in relief this postseason in just two outings. What a valuable piece out of the bullpen.[More]

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...inals-in-game-4-take-3-1-nlcs-lead-quick-hits

7. markaz

One more win and it will be a World Series between Wild Card winners.

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Holy. f**k**ing. s**t.

I can't even.

9. markaz

Travis Ishikawa Sends Giants To World Series On Walk-Off Three-Run Homer

The Giants are headed to the World Series for the third time in the past five seasons.

Travis Ishikawa launched a walk-off three-run homer off Michael Wacha in the bottom of the ninth inning this evening to lead the Giants to a dramatic 6-3 win over the Cardinals in Game 5 of the NLCS. They will now move on to face the Royals in the World Series, which will begin Tuesday night in Kansas City.

The game-winning rally was set up in curious fashion, as Michael Wacha entered the game to make his first appearance since September 26. He quickly gave up a leadoff single to Pablo Sandoval before Hunter Pence flew out to right field. Wacha then walked Brandon Belt on four pitches before Ishikawa pulled a pitch over the right field fence to punch the Giants’ ticket to the World Series. Ishikawa misplayed a fly ball in the third inning to give the Cardinals an early 1-0 lead, but it’s safe to say that he redeemed himself with his Bobby Thomson moment.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/16/travis-ishikawa-sends-giants-to-world-series-on-walk-off-three-run-homer/related/

10. markaz

No shirt. Having been born and raised in KC, living there until I was 35 and a Royals season ticket holder, I'm watching that game yesterday and praying to the Giants' Gods that the Cards and their manager would do something stupid. Voila! Mike Metheny takes out Wainwright. It was all SF from that point.

Having lived in AZ for the past 20 some years I've inherited the D-Backs as my second favorite team and watched the NL West closely. Out of that I declared the Giants as the D-Backs nemesis team because your boys more than not made sure the D-Backs knew their place. So as that game progressed I wanted the Giants to kick the Cards' ass to set up the KC-SF series so as to possibly seek some type of revenge via the Royals.

I only hope that the Dodgers and their fans watched the post game celebration with the champagne drenching the Giants' unis. Nothing better than the highest payroll in MLB sucking stick and their fans pointing their fingers at anyone that can be blamed.

Kudos to @Walnuts and rest of the Giants nation in proving they're the best in the National League.