No Chance Of Saints Vs. Colts Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by CaptainStubing, Dec 18, 2009.

?

Will a Colts vs. Saints meeting in the SB happen?

1. Yes, #1 seed vs. #1 seed will finally happen again

25.0%
  2. No, but one of them will make it into the SB

50.0%
  3. Neither #1 seed will make it, as happened last year

25.0%
  1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

The recent discussions of 18-0 vs. 18-0 in the Super Bowl got me thinking about how things have typically played out in the nfl playoffs over the last several years. Would 18-0 vs. 18-0 be cool? Sure it would, but based on what typically happens in the playoffs, it's not very likely. I went back and looked at the last 10 Super Bowl match-ups and the seedings of the participants. I just went year by year and eyeballed it so if anyone sees an error, let me know:

2 over 4 (Pitt over Zona)
    5 over 1 (NYG over NE)
    3 over 1 (Indy over Chi)
    6 over 1 (Pitt over Sea)
    2 over 1 (NE over Philly)
    1 over 3 (NE over Car)
    2 over 1 (TBay over Oak)
    2 over 1 (NE over StL)
    5 over 1 (Balt over NYG)
    1 over 5 (StL over Tenn)

And I went back from there just to see when the last 1 vs. 1 match-up was and we haven't seen a 1 vs.1 match-up in the Super Bowl since 1993, which was prior to the modern age of free agency. :icon_eek:

Having said that, the events of the last few years (16-0 for the first time, 0-16 for the first time, record winning streaks, record losing streaks, etc.) tend to make me think that we have reverted back to the 70's and 80's, where there was a huge separation between the top teams and the 2nd tier teams and the bottom teams, so maybe 1 vs. 1 could become a reality again.

What do you think?

2. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Past is the past i think it could happen both teams are pretty good but i just dont think it will. Imo the saints will be the ones to fall off the colts most likley will be in the superbowl imo.

3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I think the chances of seeing the #1 seed in the AFC vs. the #1 seed in the NFC in Super Bowl 44 are pretty good. Should both the Colts and Saints both go 16-0 in the regular season, one of them will feel like the 2007 Patriots. You come this far with a 16-0 record but come up short. Honestly, who knows... It's a whole new ball game come playoff time.

4. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Not going to happen.

5. ball in the baskett

Yea the cardinals were in the superbowl last year anything can happen.

6. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

After going 9-7 in the regular season too.

7. ball in the baskett

The championship game was a 9-7 vs 9-6-1 team lol

8. CaptainStubing

i keep thinking about the colts vs. chargers match-up, if the colts have to face them. the chargers match-up well with them. i'm not sure the colts can get past them.

for the saints, i think the packers or cardinals could be difficult games for them if the packers keep playing defense like they have and the cardinals play one of their 'good' games if they match-up. Both of those teams have talent that matches up with the saints and particularly have excellent secondaries that may be able to contain Brees and his receivers just enough to stay in the game.

9. ball in the baskett

True i forgot about the chargers if the eagles get eliminated there gonna be my sleeper to win it all i think. They have huge receivers all rivers has to do is toss it up. The chargers just need to play good defense and your probably right the chargers have a good shot.

10. Harvs01

Harvs01 Pro Bowler

neither team makes the Superbowl....especially if they both go undefeated....too many games to win without a loss.

11. CaptainStubing

so you're saying if both teams go 16-0 in the regular season, neither of them will make the SB ? interesting .................... that would definitely be a letdown for all of the enthusiasts wanting to see a perfect season..............

12. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

It would be great.

13. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

i don't buy the colts D like i do the saints. i doubt its going to be 18 - 0 v 18 - 0.... colts will rest players, saints have a good shot if they can make it throught the playoffs

14. hermhater

hermhater Guest

15. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

way too early to tell. ask me again when we know the playoff teams. better yet, ask me after the first round.

16. itinvolves

itinvolves Special Teamer

I hope neither of them make the superbowl honestly cause I think that would be a very drab matchup. Whos the underdog? I mean seriously who wants to see 2 undefeated teams match up that badly its just gonna turn into a pissing contest. BORING

17. the Colts are perfect cause they havent played the Chargers:

2005:

By week 15, the Colts had a perfect 13–0 record, and had secured the AFC South and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Nevertheless, Tony Dungy made the decision to play all of his regular starters against the Chargers. However, the Colts played a sub-par game against the Chargers and fell short of the win; the score was 26–17

2007:

Against the San Diego Chargers he threw for a career-worst and franchise-record 6 interceptions. Despite this, he was able to rally the Colts from a 23–0 deficit to 23–21, and gave Adam Vinatieri an opportunity to take the lead with a 29-yard field goal. Vinatieri's miss sunk the Colts to 7–2.

In the divisional round of the playoffs, Manning and the Colts lost to the Chargers, 28–24. Manning helped the Colts to 4 different leads but could not lead a final touchdown drive for the win.

2008:

At San Diego, Manning completed 32 of 44 for 255 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT in a 23–20 victory. The interception snapped his streak of 140 pass attempts without an interception, the longest streak of his career. After the Chargers rallied from a 10 point deficit in the 4th to tie the game at 20, Manning led the game-winning drive by completing a 14 yard pass to Marvin Harrison on 4th and inches at midfield. Adam Vinateri kicked the winning 51 yard field goal three plays later. It was Manning's 5th game-winning drive in the 4th quarter this season. The win snapped a 3-game losing streak to the Chargers.

At the end of the 2008 season, Manning was named NFL MVP for the 3rd time, tying Brett Favre for the most MVP awards in NFL history.

The day following the MVP award, the Colts played their 2007 nemesis, the Chargers, in their wild-card playoff game. Down 14–10 at the half, Manning put the Colts ahead 17–14 in the third quarter as he completed a 72-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Reggie Wayne. But the Chargers tied the game in the fourth quarter as kicker Nate Kaeding nailed a 22-yard field goal. When San Diego won the coin toss, they scored on the first possession, ending the Colts season.

for some reason the Chargers match up very well with the Colts. if you ever pay attention to when these teams play, watch Stephen Cooper, our MLB, EVERY time Manning decides to audible, Cooper does the same and it seems to confuse him. Manning has thrown 14 career INTs against SD in only 7 games and has a Leftwich like passer rating of 78.3, i can almost guarantee you that if you asked Peyton Manning which team he doesnt wanna face in the playoffs he would say San Diego...

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

i think the Saints got a legit change since they pretty much have already smashed everyone they are gonna play in the playoffs. the only team i think that can beat them right now is Arizona, but you do gotta wonder how teams like the Redskins and Falcons (without Ryan, Turner) are forcing the Saints to have to come back to win...

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Don't think it will actually happen...but I'm hoping it will. I would love to see that match-up!! The best part will be the story lines the media make up about Archie and Peyton Manning...can't wait...:icon_rolleyes:

But seriously, I'd love to see that game...

19. CaptainStubing

apparently we can add the cowboys to the list of difficult match-ups for the saints ..........

20. notice the trend: Cowboys, Packers, Cardinals all run a 3-4 defense, even the elite QBs like Brees struggle against these high pressure defenses. hell you can even through Peyton Manning in there as well due to the fact that he has struggled against the Patriots, Steelers, and Chargers (who own him) :icon_cheesygrin: