No Sophomore Slump For Marques Colston

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by Saintsfan1972, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

A year ago, 70 receptions earned rookie Marques Colston, a seventh-round draft choice, some degree of fame and notoriety.

With five games remaining in the Saints' 2007 regular season, Colston is on pace to come close to 100 receptions in his sophomore year, a number that could earn him a trip to Hawaii come February as a member of the NFC's Pro Bowl team.

Colston needs just three catches against Tampa Bay on Sunday to surpass his receiving total of last year. He has a team-leading 847 yards and six touchdowns and ranks third in the NFC and is tied for eighth in the NFL in catches. He also is third in the conference and tied for 10th in the league in receiving yardage.

Through the first six games, Colston had 26 catches.

In the past five, he's had 42, many of them seemingly underneath deep coverage and in the wide-receiver danger zone across the middle of the field.

"That's why we wear pads," Colston said Thursday. "Actually, I love going over the middle. It's a place where a lot of people don't really want to be. And with my size (6 feet 4, 231 pounds) in there, it seems a lot of times guys don't want to hit me square on. I get a few more broken tackles and things like that."

Colston said nothing has changed dramatically to increase his numbers over the first six games.

"Drew and I have just been able to connect in the last five weeks," Colston said.

Brees agreed.

"I think we're all just getting in a groove here, and we know what is working for us, and we're continuing to go back to find other things," he said. "And obviously Marques is a big part of what we do. We're trying to get him the ball just like Dallas would try to get T.O. (Terrell Owens) the ball or the Patriots try to get Randy Moss the ball.

link/more

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

He's been money for my fantasy team :icon_cheesygrin:

3. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Despite his numbers, there's no love publicly in the media for this guy. Last year all people could talk about was Colston and now he's putting up better numbers and you don't hear a thing about it. Weird.

4. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

why would they need to? of course they are going to talk about him last year since he was drafted so late. but why waste time talking about him now? he isn't news.