Nowhere to throw: Denver's DBs lock it down in 2007

Discussion in 'Denver Broncos' started by TDJets72027, Aug 27, 2007.

1. TDJets72027

TDJets72027 Rex Ryan baby

The Denver Broncos are known for their running game. After this season, they might be just as famous for their pass defense.

Though RB Travis Henry arrived in Denver with much ballyhoo, the teams most significant offseason moveand, possibly, the leaguesmight have been the trade that brought Dre Bly to the Broncos. Coupled with Champ Bailey, Bly should help Denver make a run at San Diego in the AFC West.

The Bronco defense last year began the season on a record pace. They allowed only two touchdowns in their first six games, but then things started to come apart against the Colts. A 34-31 loss exposed the D, especially in the secondary. While much of the teams struggles throughout the rest of the year could be attributed to poor quarterback play, the defense was no longer doing its part.

The addition of Bly in the offseason should work wonders. The former Detroit Lion excels in man-to-man coverage, and he succeeded in Detroit despite playing out of position in the Lions version of the Cover 2. On his best days, he can be a shutdown corner; on his worst, he is still better than nearly every other teams number two receiver. His excellent ballhawking skills will be on display since he should have plenty of teams throwing his way.

http://beta.bleacherreport.com/arti...re_to_throw_Denver_s_DBs_lock_it_down_in_2007

2. Dam8610

Dam8610 Starter

I'm sure Reggie Wayne will beg to differ.

3. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

I'm not buying that Bly is that good.

4. Blitz Junkie

Blitz Junkie J.A.F.O

Sounds like propoganda to me. Bly is good, but he is not going to transform that secondary into much more than it already was.

5. P16

P16 posting while intoxicated

Bly facing #2 receivers is going to be laughable, he was a great corner against #1's in Detroit. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a QB going against Denver this year..

6. bizell

bizell NFL-Fans refugee

as long as john lynch is in the secondary, there's going to be someone open on passes

7. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

Oh, shut the hell up already.
    I'm willing to put my little vCash where my mouth is, or any kind of crazy bet you want, but Wayne won't get more than 50 yards lined up against Bly this year, no freaking way.

8. JPBroncs

JPBroncs Starter

idk, that's not very difficult..

9. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

Why don't you explain this a little better... i'd like to hear the thought process behind such a blunt post like this.

10. bizell

bizell NFL-Fans refugee

john lynch has deficiencies in pass coverage, specifically man-to-man coverage. care for me to elaborate any further?

11. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

I don't know where you are coming from at all... the guy is an outstanding safetly and a great leader for the broncos. We've got Bly and Baily... we need him as a supporting role and he's definitlely capable of that.

12. bizell

bizell NFL-Fans refugee

I agree- Lynch is a hell of a player, and he was one of my favorite Bucs ever. However, I'm a realist and realize that his coverage ability is pretty bad.

13. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

You're missing the point, he will not be used for coverage, he will be used in a more Polamalu style, close to the line.

14. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Sorry.....I think the Broncos have an above average crew of db's but.....lock down?....Nawwwwww....they havent chanmged that much in past couple years and they can be beat. Bly is good but....I wouldn't say he's a shut down player and Lynch is definitely more of a hitter than cover man so....how are they that much better than last couple of years?

15. Buffgrandpa

Buffgrandpa Resident Pervert

Not that pre-season is much of an indicator, but they didn't impress me much. Doesn't matter how good the backs are if you don't put any pressure on the QB, especially ones like Manning and Brady, they will eat you up all day long.

EDIT: Ok, so now I see that they signed Simeon Rice.... that could change some things.

16. linz_renee

linz_renee Well-Known

I'll admit, I was quite let down by the deffensive display this pre-season; especialy after I thought we had made some really awsome moves. But I guess we'll see what happens and if they can work together without Al in the regular season. Plus they were really playing a basic defense out there. I'd like to see them live up to the potential of thier individual players.

17. Dam8610

Dam8610 Starter

50 yards? I'll take that. That would be a bad game for him. I don't buy Bly holding Reggie down, so the only way I lose this is if Peyton finds another mismatch he likes better. What stakes do you have in mind?

18. FZ06

FZ06 Random Guy

A sig bet, most likely... I doubt my pathetic VCash wealth tempts you.