Oswalt To Philly

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by smeags, Jul 29, 2010.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

Trade Is Imminent as Oswalt Agrees to Come to Philly

:icon_cool:

2. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

astros pay 11 mill of the 23 million owed to him, his buyout from the team is increased and a mutual option for next year.

the outfielder we traded - anthony gose, was immediately turned around and traded to toronto for brett wallace, dude had a ton of steals last year, but has been caught almost as many times he's actually stolen a base this year

the infielder we traded - jonathan villar - has yet to turn on the offense, but is also a tools guy (which the phillies system is loaded with) and is also speedy, but has a whopping 42 errors this season at the A league blueclaws at SS.

I wanted Haren, but oswalt should definitely help our starting rotation, now we just need another right handed bat and a solid reliever and we will be ready to make another run. There has been talk of Phillies going after the league HR leader Jose Bautista and he would immediately add that righty bat that we would need. Also, it would be great insurance in case Rollins just can't get it together health wise this year.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah gose was moved because the astros already have bourne.

people pissing and moaning that the phils raped the astros aren't really looking at this close enough. the astros got happ, a proven starter who was the runner up for NL ROY. to get a vet with hisproduction would cost them 8-9 mil a year (see blanton), plus he's a lefty. now i'm not saying we didn't get the better end of the deal but really, are any of the players lee was traded for or halladay or haren going to amount to anything ? maybe, maybe not, it's all speculation at this point.

all i know is that i have to give amaro crdit here, i've ripped him for moves i think were bad but he has to be praised for this one.

4. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

I don't keep up with Astros too much but I know Oswalt was one the best pitchers on the team. I guess they don't like keeping good players on the roster or something.

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

two words - ed wade

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I can't wait to see him on the hill in a Phillies uniform tonight.

7. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

His W-L record this year is just 6-12. I don't keep up with the Astros, so I don't know. He doesn't get much run support?

8. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

Me Either :icon_cool:

9. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

Run support? What's that? :whoosh:

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

'Amped up' Oswalt struggles in Phillies debut | phillies.com: News

11. Xpunk10

Xpunk10 X10

I hope Oswalt has a better outing Thurs... I had a feeling the Nationals start wasn't going to be too hot because we've been getting killed by them this year.

12. ragman

Could it be he's just overrated?

13. smeags

smeags militant geek

that can't be a serious statement.

14. ragman

Would you like him as much if he wasn't in a Phillies uniform?

Are you just a little biased because he is in a Phillies uniform?

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

yes and no. i just know a very good pitcher when i see one. do you ?

here's 5 active picthers with at least 9yrs played in the majors and their 162game averages. guess which one is oswalt's and then figure out who the other pitchers are.

234innings / 3.33era / 17-9 win/loss / 174k's 50bb's

221innings / 3.25era / 16-9 win/loss / 182k's 51bb's

226innings / 3.41 / 16-8 win/loss / 151k's 70bb's

215innings / 3.12era / 15-8 win/loss / 212k's 60bb,s

218 innings / 3.81 / 16-9 win/loss / 165k's 55bb's

16. ragman

Nice stats, but what has he done this year? That's what counts.

Oswalt is a lot like Dan Haren of the Angels. Lots of K's but a bad W-L record.

17. smeags

smeags militant geek

of course you don't want to answer cause it would toss your silly notion out the window.

oh and yeah we all know the win/loss record means everything cause there's no varible that can affect such a stat that is out of the starters hands.

you do know oswalt was getting next to nothing in run support right ?

in the 17 games the astros lost when he pitched they gave him 1.30 in run support. who the hell can win with that ? 9 of those were with 1 run or less.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  18. ragman

Yeah, that trade to Philly really helped Oswalt. What did they score in his first start there? Exactly 1 run.

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah and of course by your logic in this thread that proves oswalt is overrated.

20. ragman

Look. Let's be serious here.

I don't know what's wrong with him. He's only 32.

Maybe he's tired. Maybe he's hurt and not telling anyone.

But, he's not the pitcher he once was.