OT Bryan Bulaga Says 49ers Planned To Take Him At 13

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by Sweets, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Bryan Bulaga wanted to be picked higher than 23rd and he was projected by some to be a top-10 or -15 pick. The San Francisco 49ers told him they planned to take him at No. 13 but then traded up two spots to take another tackle, Anthony Davis of Rutgers. Three tackles went before Bulaga, Oklahoma's Trent Williams went fourth to Washington, and Oklahoma State's Russell Okung went sixth to Seattle. It caused some anxiety at the Bulaga family table in the green room and amongst the Marian coaches. "We were hoping he'd go in the top 10," Brucker said. "This Williams kid that went ahead of him, we had him for a dog. And the Davis kid, we were upset that he was picked after those two guys. Okung, we thought he was pretty good. Once it got by San Francisco, we kind of figured it was probably going to be (the Packers)." "I don't think he would have fit in out in San Francisco, and he even said he didn't like it out there," Brucker said. "And he didn't like New York City. That's why I think he went to school at Iowa. He's just a middle-of-the-country type of kid." "He's not flash and dash," she said. "He was almost uncomfortable walking around New York in a suit for three days. He walked back from Radio City Music Hall with us one afternoon, and he had to go with a security guard. That's just not him. That's why I think Green Bay will be a wonderful place for him. That's the kind of guy he is."

Source: Packersnews.com

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Why did Brian even bring this up if as he says "he didn't like San Francisco or New York" when he visited? I guess with him it IS all about the benjamins. Keep your countrified butt out of the city, what a doofus. Maybe it was because the 49ers didn't think Davis would still be there at 13 and all those players they named ARE BETTER than you are Brian with your tyrannosaurus rex arms.:icon_cheesygrin:

3. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

[​IMG]
    Pretty douchey.

4. hermhater

hermhater Guest

If some team is gonna give you millions you can be comfortable anywhere you go.

5. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

you should think...
    Now STFU and get ready for the NFL

6. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

so they guy slipped to a better team with a much better coaching staff and a much better qb. lost a few million, but this slip from 13 to 23 isn't anything like colt mccoy's to the third. bulaga doesnt have to start day one, im pretty sure the 9ers have to start their rookie left tackle. plus the title says bulaga says 49'ers were going to pick him, doesn't this article only quote from "Marian coaches" "Mr. Brucker?" the kid is 21 and looks like curly, he def got out of school to go to the nfl for a reason. for the # 23 pick, if not a bust in the next 5 years, this has to be a great value pick

7. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

Bulaga looks like he wrestles bears and owns a harpoon. I'd want him protecting my franchise quarterback.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

no one wants a guy on your line with tyrannosaurus arms if you can get someone a tad better.

The article says "The San Francisco 49ers told him they planned to take him at No. 13 but then traded up two spots to take another tackle, Anthony Davis of Rutgers." and Cod, how do you know your staff is better at training an Oline guy than ours?

9. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

Mainly because our coaches have been teaching the Oline to protect possibly 2 of the best QBs around in the last hmmm 20yrs..Favre always had a stacked line...now rodgers does too...and its only fitting for a QB of his caliber to have the protection he does.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Im so sick ppl calling him TREX...HIS ARMS ARENT THAT SHORT! Look at other tackles in the league that are successful and have similar arm lengths...or how about Drew Brees being too short to play QB? Well guess what...he just won a SB. Bulaga is the steal of the draft for the packers.

10. falcon_91

falcon_91 Pro Bowler

Yeah Rodgers barely got touched last year ...

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Bulagas going to be playing guard in a few years. He'll probably be a good one, but tackle is not in his future.

12. Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey Rookie

Don't know for sure but I'm guessing he was being asked questions about falling is why it was brought up. He didn't call a press conference to talk about how the Niners passed him up.

The whole arms thing cracks me up. His arms were measured less than the "ideal" measurements. That does not mean he cannot play the position. It's like saying a 6'4" guy is a shoe in at WR. We could go talking about all those slow 40 times that turned into good/great NFL careers.

If Anthony Davis gets his head on straight he is likely going to be a better Tackle than Bryan Bulaga. The guy is still a first round tackle. Had they went Bulaga over Davis, Davis would have fell just as far, it's how the needs of the teams in there panned out.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah the whole short arms thing really worked out well for Robert Gallery...and he was much more highly regarded as a tackle than Bulaga ever was.

14. mmehring

mmehring Cap'n Stabbin

When our line was hurt...like 3 of our starters..yea he got sacked. Watch the last 6 or 7 games of the season..protection was MUCH better when we got tauscher and the rest of our starters back. I promise you things are diff this yr...we got another (soon-to-be) stud TE and pretty decent HB to spell grant...rodgers wont have to shoulder the team anymore...

15. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Short arms is usually the death of a LT prospect

Not an overrated thing